Have you rejected someone you were interested in?

Guys and girls have you ever rejected someone who were interested in? If you have done so in the past what were your reasons?

I turned down a girl because I thought she was too good for me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, several times. I guess a combo of shyness and mistrustfulness.

• You rejected a guy because you are shy? That's an eye-opener, I thought girls would be flattered to be asked out by they like if they are shy. Well I've learnt something new today.

• Thank you for MH, Anon! :)

• You're most welcome.

You taught me something new, so thank you!

What Girls Said 15

• Yes! You just sort of panic and then when the dust settles, you've removed the panic, ie, rejected them. That's why I try to advise to do a bunch of low key things with a girl before you point blank legitimately ask her out. She'll have had time to prepare and make up her mind, and then hopefully no panic. I once had a guy try to (sort of jokingly) give me a ring we made in shop class (a bunch of people were swapping them) by faux proposing. I actually liked the guy, and it is one of the sweetest things that has happened to me in hindsight. But in the moment, I panicked because it was in front of people, and I started blushing and I said no. I got really flustered, even though it was really nice. I still wish I could go back and play that differently.

• So are you trying to say that some girls panic when they are asked out?

• are you usually a shy person that doesn't talk/interact much with others or by the contrary a sociable person?

• I think I'm a bit of both. I'm pretty shy, but I like to talk to people. My shyness only really come out when I meet someone new or am caught on the spot.

• I have. At the time, I thought that I couldn't afford to have a boyfriend. I had so many things going on in my life, that making time for someone else to fit in my busy scheduled seemed impossible. I saw him every weekend and I knew it was something impossible to keep up with. He works like a dog and we just seem to live in two parallel worlds, one where I'm exploring and one where he is settling. I was mad about him, but I let it all go because I knew it would be more heartache than joyful moments. It was damn hard and it still is although I'm no longer interested in him. I still see him every weekend (I work on weekends next door to him) and it's tough looking and smiling at him. Yes, the feelings are gone but it doesn't mean that they were never there.

• That's a shame really! Did he ever like you?

• He really did. I mean, we have quite an age difference and above it all he still wanted to make things work out but I had to be logical about it all. I still miss the little moments I used to share with him but now I know I did the right decision.

• It was in middle school. I got asked out by a guy in 8th grade. I said no because even though I thought he was cute, he was really stupid.
    He had two girls come up and ask me out for him, then came up to me and asked me myself, which then I obviously said no.
    Then about a week later he asked out one of the girls he had made ask me out, and she said yes.
    I was like, yep, stupid.

• What has become of this guy? Do you like him?

• Ah fair enough.

• Actually, technically I just finished my second year, in my third now. But yeah, no way lol

• Similar to rgb008, I didn't reject him either but I had to stop myself from liking him back because I felt he was out of my league- not physically but intellectually. Not to say I'm stupid but he was a Fulbright scholar, a Harvard University intern, etc. My published book and other accomplishments just always felt so small compared to his...clearly it was my own insecurities, (thinking he was too good for me), that eventually made me force myself to draw away from him.

• Yea I have, cause my best friend liked him. Eventually stopped rejecting him cause I just couldn't anymore and got into a fight with my friend.

Now I don't see the guy anymore (besides work) and I'ts just the same with my friend as before the incident.

• Fear of never dating and not knowing exactly what to do when it comes to kissing or talking...its complicated

• I didn't reject him, but I had to force myself to stop liking him because I knew he was no good for me.

• I have but only because those guys I could tell were after only sex and I didn't want that. It hurts when you do it and even more when it's for that reason :(

• i just try to distance myself from them and the situation... I don't like hurting feels. But being distanced always helps and don't hurt their feelings.

wow she was too good? She couldn't feel bad then, but then again no girl wants to be rejected by her crush whoops

• Rejection isn't nice, but you do get used to it and learn not to take it personally.

• If you don't mind me asking.. how did you reject her? by what actions?

• She gave me her phone number and asked me to call her and I just couldn't do it.

• No. I'm not that stupid.

• Kind of. I thought I was interested in the guy initially, and then went out with him and realized we have nothing in common even though he was attractive...so I turned him down for a second date.

• I rejected a few guys I liked actually...I just panicked

• I have either because I was in another relationship or one of my friends liked him.

• "one of my friends liked him" - would you let him go even if he were to tell you he LIKES YOU, just because you don't want to upset your friend?

• I've lost a few friends due to me choosing the guy. At the end of the day the guy wasn't worth it. It would take a special guy for me to go there again.

• I wasn't interested in them but I did think they were too good for me.

• Didn't feel ready to be in a relationship.

What Guys Said 9

• Yes, several girls (10) in High School. I rejected them because they picked guys over me in the past and wanted to date me Now. Why didn't they want me back then? They wanted to date me after they were in long term relationships and all used up. I'm not settling for sloppy seconds. I'm not going to be someone's second choice to date.

• I rejected a girl once cause my mate had been with her or so he says. Different time different place who knew what would have happened. And I got rejected by a girl once cause I was too forward. And as it turns out years later she actually did fancy me but me being me I took no as an answer and moved on

• I take no as answer, I'm worried that if I ask again, I'll come across as desperate.

• Yeah I get you but right now if I was you id just let it be

• Yes I agree, I don't want to make matters worse.

• I onced liked this girl in school and we snuggled and teased one another but she would never be my girlfriend, so this went on for a couple of years and then she moved away and came back i was playing football and she wanted me too be her boyfriend and i wouldnt, i think it was because i was dating someone else and she didn't like it

• THat's too bad, that's just a case of bad timing.

• That sucks.

• Live and learn

• Countless chix..
    Reason: not gonna be a good enough of a bf for her. Im agraid i won't be able to satisfied most of her desires :/

• Why would I turn down a girl I was interested in? I mean unless I was already taken, I don't see why I would reject her lol

• Only if im not single. :-P

• Lol I didn't even know girls did this. This actually makes me feel better about getting rejected.. maybe some of the girls that rejected me actually thought I was cute.. Mind = blown.

• Rejection is very rarely personal, so it's best not take rejection personally.

• Good advice, thanks.

• None that I was interested in. I have purposely not chased girls I like who clearly liked me too though, didn't really want to be in a relationship, just had a crush. Turned down a few girls when I've been in relationships too

• Does it count if you stop being interested in them?
    Probably not.