Why would you date someone you're not attracted to?

In reaction to this question:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1040766-is-your-gf-bf-beautiful-handsome

When I originally clicked on it I was sure no one would say they were dating someone they didn't find handsome or pretty. I really didn't know this was a thing!

So like...why? Can you be content in a relationship like this? I know beauty isn't everything, but it's pretty dang important in this circumstance (or so I thought).

Most Helpful Guy

• One word: SEX

Believe it or not you don't need to be attracted to someone to have sex with them, that is just a hunger everyone has that surpasses wealth, looks, and social status.

• I do...

But anyway, sex is one thing- but a relationship?

• Oh, haha okay. I hope you find your wife plenty attractive!

• I actually mentioned her on that "is your gf/bf attractive" question. yes of course I do

What Guys Said 8

• I don't think I could date someone I wasn't even remotely attracted to.. I'd have to be attracted to her in some capacity to notice her in that way.

• I would date someone Im not attracted to, but attraction is not just a physical thing. So if the person is pretty, but a real jerk, there would be no dating.

• No I wouldnt, if I dont find someone physically attractive as well as mentally stimulating then its not going to be a healthy relationship. Because while beauty isn't everything I believe that if you are going to date someone you should find them beautiful.

• I think beauty is skin deep, i saw some girl with short hair, she was a tomboy, i fell over hills for her but i never got her number or anything , she ask this older woman who i was so she must liked being checked out

• desperate to be with someone

• Its not always possible to date people who are good looking, especially if you are not good looking yourself.

• I could date someone that isn't physically beautiful, but I still have to be attracted to her looks. Plus, I prefer girls that are cute over beautiful. So, I would've answered that question as no my gf isn't beautiful.

• What's the difference to you?

• I don't know... it's not something where beauty has a certain look or cuteness has a certain look. I don't have a logical reason as to why the two are different based on appearance. It's more of a feeling. This person may give me that cute vibe and this person might give me the beautiful vibe, but I don't really know the difference other than that I can tell that there's a difference when I look at the two to compare.

What Girls Said 9

• Depends, sometimes a persons personality is enough to make up for their lack of physical attraction.

Also sometimes unattractive people do become physically attractive because of their personality.

• Well they just might not think that other people would find them attractive. For example I used to have the hots for this guy I worked with because he was funny and he made me feel good about myself. However he wasn't attractive in the traditional sense but I really liked his arms.

• Did you date him?

• Oh, cool! Congrats:)

• Thanks. He also does all the same things for me the other guy did and so much more.

• Well i don't. I am very bad at faking those things also. So i don't see any reason to date with someone that i don't find attractive. It is just a time loss.
    Also the thing is i need to find him attractive , not everyone :) If he is attractive to me, way to go!

• No. There has to be physical attraction for me to date someone. Looks aren't everything, and my personality has to mesh with his as well. Both are apart of a healthy relationship.

• they're probably fug and can't get a person they find attractive
    or theyre in it for the money

• If I'm not attracted to them I couldn't date them. It wouldn't end up working out. There has to be something I'm attracted to in order for it to work out. OR else what's the point after all you do have to look at them.

• I did it once because I felt my standards were too high and maybe if I gave something else I chance it would end up being better than I thought... Long story short, worst relationship of my life. Don't lower your standards.

• I thought the same thing as you when I asked that lol The only reason I can think is if the persons personality was just amazing but then I still think you would need some kinda attraction...

• For me, there's no point in such a relationship. Why bother? You have to be attracted to them somehow, whether physically or psychologically! People bemuse me sometimes.