Is he being cheap or am I being shallow?

This guy has been asking me to go on a date with him for literally 5 years. I said yes tonight and he wants to go to the $1.50 movie theater tomorrow. Only $1.50. What the hell? Does this have anything to do with how he views me? Or is he maybe just low on cash?

We left the movie early to go fog up some windows. He was so sweet and gentle and sincere and cute. I thought id be the last to say this but girls we HAVE to date the INTROVERTS!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• 5 years to bug you but not more than 5$ for you? I don't see it as shallow, you're just wondering what the situation is that you're going to a dollar screen. What's his occupation? If he doesn't have a career then it may be that he's low on cash which is common so don't take it personal. Also he may be those type of people who are bad at managing money and that could be why he's taking you to the dollar movies or he might be a guy who manages a lot and is just cheap when it comes to spending which isn't bad unless you're going to marry him. Either way if you don't have a good time then my suggestion is that you shouldn't go out on a second date but if you do have a good night out then you decide if the dollar show and maybe if you go to dinner was worth it.

• Jesus. Thank you so much. 5 years. That's what's getting to me. He should be excited or something to impress me. Lol

• Thank you, that's so nice.
      Thank you for most helpful.

• You're welcome lol

What Guys Said 16

• As a first date I don't blame anyone for not wanting to blow their cash. Who cares? It's a first date. If you don't like him, don't date him. Getting caught up in the prices is pretty shallow plus maybe he likes that theater. Expecting guys to spend all sorts of cash on you is shallow yes. I don't blame guys for being stingy with their money in dating with the tricks I see girls' playing nowadays. Many of them use guys for dinners and don't respond to their texts meaning they blew 20-30+ dollars for literally nothing.

• Maybe he's low on cash, maybe he likes the cinema or maybe he doesn't want to go all out on a first date?

You're being kind of shallow, but dont blame yourself, blame society. A date is purely to spend time together, you can still have an expensive bad date.

• As a first date, I don't think its completely unreasonable. Probably not something I would personally do, but if that's the local venue and you want to go to a movie anyways, it seems to make sense. Why spend $10 when you can get the same thing for $1.50? What matters should be how much you enjoy your time with him, not how much he pays.

And you know he is financially responsible which is always a good thing.

• I say yes you're being shallow, more than he ia being cheap.

---

If you really like the guy (he's asked you out for 5 years so u definitely know him some), you would enjoy spending time with him regardless of the cost of the outing.

Just because he doesn't spend large amounts of money on a movie date, doesn't mean he values you less.

-----

Plus after asking you out continuously for half a decade, i understand him playing it safe financially so he's not taken advantage of.

Girls can be gold digging bitches these days (not talking about you personally ).

• I have to be honest here. Shallow. Why does it matter how much he spends? Why don't you spend some money on him? Why do you equate material things with personal feelings? You're not a piece of property, right? So why do you want him to treat you like one? It's not like he's paying for something he owns, right? Don't you think you should be in a relationship with him and not his wallet?

But if you think I'm wrong then start spending a ton of money on him to show him you value him. It can't be one sided, you know.

• 1. I will spend money on him if we actually start dating but as of now I'm not because I'm not the one who asked him out every week for 5 years.

2. Bad comparison. You don't buy things for property. You don't take property on dates.

3. Is $10 a ton of money? Is everybody on this site in poverty? Lol

• I see where your coming from but he may not mean anything bad about it nor does
    he view you as bad and no your not shallow, i wouldn't take no girl to a $ 1.50 movie

• It shouldn't matter if its a $1.50 movie theater or a $10 movie theater the idea of a date is to spend time together you are being majorly shallow

did you ever think that after five years maybe he picked that $1.50 movie theater to see just how materialistic you are... he sure wouldn't be the first guy to test a girl for that reason

• Well good thing I acted like I was happy about it.

• Why do women want something so fancy and expensive *-*
    I think he doesn't make much and is saving money. A date is a date where y'all spend time together no matter how fancy it is. Juz enjoy y'all time together going out and thats perrty much it. I dislike women who are greedy and want sumthing big =x
    If u really luv him, nothing matters to u excpet him.

• I don't want fancy. What about the $10 movie though? They have newer movies.

• First of all if ur so concerned about being cheap, find out wjat job he's working and how much he's getting paid. Problem solve.

• True. Thanks.

• I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there's a movie playing that isn't playing in any other theater?

So to answer your question you're shallow till you offer any more instances of him being cheap. I think you're overreacting to be honest.

• I probably am. I'm dramatic like that.

• You are an equal rights woman. You pay.

• Maybe he had money 5 years ago lol jk

It doesn't matter if it's an expensive date, what matters is being with the other person, have fun on your date :)

• Glad to hear the date went well from what you said. Best of luck to you guys

• At least he didn't ask you to the local p*rn theater to watch the Director's Cut of Debbie Does Dallas.

Perhaps the guy is just skinned for cash at the moment.
    Take him up on his offer and have a good time.

• lmao if you're complaining about what you're doing, it means he's not hot. Can't you do better?

• He's not hot. He's adorable though in a cute way that's why I usually say no to him. I wouldn't mind going to the movies but it's so cheap :(

• What's worse is that you're going out with him :P

• Oh shut up lol

• Your not being shallow. He has shallow pockets.

Either has the tools to date: a car, a job, a couple dollars to go on a decent date, or he does not.

What Girls Said 6

• Why did he even say the price?
    That makes no sense.
    He probably got a really good discount.
    It's just that usually people that pay for dates don't disclose how much they spend.

It doesn't matter how much it costs...he's getting a fantastic deal.
    Now if the place is dingy, and very unsanitary looking then I'd be offended.
    It's really the thought that counts.

• He said the price because that's what everyone calls it. It has a name but nobody calls it that.

• Could he be joking? And what type of movies does that theatre play?

• Kind of new movies that just left the theaters.

• Well, it depends on how much you want to go out with someone. I had a crush a while back and he invited me to a cheap movie theatre that played mostly art and foreign films and I didn't mind at all because he was the amazing thing going on, not the movies. So perhaps you are trying to rate the date (in advance) according to how flashy his offer is. If this is the case, then you're being shallow about it. Who knows? Wait until the date has passed and think if the Time you share with him is good. You have to grant him some credit: he's not impressing you to later disappoint you, so if the "economic" time you spend with him was full of fun and laughter, then money won't matter.

• Maybe he just doesn't see the point in paying 12 bucks for a movie when he could pay 1.50? I like to go to this movie theater where its like 2 bucks. everything is cheap. its fantastic. the popcorn is like a buck! Its a cute little place too.

• Where do you want him to take you?

• The movies but not the cheap one. The other theater is like $10.

• I like him. He's funny and cute.

• I don't think.its cheap. I've gone to them myself.

• Either you want to go with him or not. He's not a plaything.

• I know. I want to go but nobody's ever taken me somewhere so cheap for a first date.

• Could be low on cash, or could be wanting to keep it more simple by watching the later movies with you so y'all won't be bothered by a lot more people or something. I dont even know lol