Why is it acceptable for an 18 year old to date a 24 year old but it's not acceptable for a 16 year old to date a 22 year old?

If 6 years isn't too large an age gap for an 18 year old, why is it too large for a 16 year old.
I though love was love, nomatter what the age gap.

Most Helpful Girl

• i totally agree with you. but people refuse to see people who aren't 18 or older as adults. if you fancy someone older just go for it, you shouldn't be bothered about what other people think of it :)

What Guys Said 12

• well in most states its because 16 is still a minor. and 16 is such a young age. even in the states here 16 is legal and allowed to give consent and whatever its still so young. you've only been experiencing life for 16years. probably the first 13 of those years you didn't know a thing about love. Im just generalizing here.

• the age gap isn't really the issue, i think. Society has assumed that until people, particularly girls, reach a certain level of maturity, they are too easily taken advantage of by people, particularly guys, with a better understanding of the world. And we've placed a cutoff for that maturity at age 18 (in some states: en.wikipedia.org/.../Ages_of_consent_in_North_America it actually is 16 in a lot of states).

• It's acceptable for a 50 year old to date a 30 year old, but not a 28 year old to date an 8 year old.

Age gap matters less then stage of life and maturity of the younger party.

Where I love 16 and 22 is legal, for the record. Its legal many places. Are you sure its not where you are? Or are you worried about what people will say? Or is the 22 year old in question backing off?

• the acceptable gap gets bigger the older you get. Are you suggesting a 14yr old could date a 20yr old or a 12yr old could date an 18yr old?

• Same reason that a 12 year old dating a 6 year old is messed up. It is the ratio of the two ages that matters, not the difference.

• Becuase when you turn 18 you are an adult according to the law. As opposed to when your 16 your a teenager. Plus you can get into some pretty deep trouble for underage dating.

• There's nothing illegal in dating though?

• The legal system thinks otherwise trust me. A 16 year old girl can easily bring the charges of rape on you if you touch her wrong and the courts can charge you with adultery just for being with an underaged girl.

• well in america you have to be 18, if you date someone who's younger and you're over 18 then you will get into some pretty deep shit. but I don't see a problem with it as long as he or she isn't 12-14 years old lol

• BECAUSE 16 YEAR OLD SEC 4 STUDENTS NEED TO STUDY 4 O LEVEL EXAMS! Or whatever exams u guys have in america

• I'm pretty sure this debate was in a previous question :/

• Yes I did see that, that's why I'm asking, to hear some further opinions. I'm curious about this topic.

• Ah, fair enough

• Move to mexico. The age of consent is 15

• 16 and 22, is illegal, while 18 and 24 is legal

• I think it's fine if it's legal. In my country, it's legal.

What Girls Said 9

• Other than being legally an adult at the age of 18, there's one more thing. The older you get, the age difference means less.
    For example, 35 year old and a 25 year old sounds fine. 25 year old and a 15 year old - not so much.
    When I look back in my life I think I changed more and matured more in those two years between 16 and 18, than in four years between 20 and 24.

• 18 is an adult. 16 is not. Deal with it.

• Some people dont live in america, adults r age 21 in singapore

• There's nothing illegal in dating though? When it becomes sexual then it's a problem. But if you're in love, he'd be willing to hold out on sex. So if he's willing to hold out on sex for two years, why should it still be a problem?

• By all means, date. You'll get some weird looks for sure, but whatevs. Good luck finding a guy who, despite claiming to love you, doesn't get pushy about sex though :p

• I think it's too large for both. And the difference is how much you grow in those years. Like...a 30 year old dating a 36 year old is not the same as a 16 and 22 year old.

• I don't see a problem with dating...and just dating someone over 18 can't get them into trouble...but if you guys are doing anything sexual...that'll get you in deep shit...but your parents do have the ability to press charges on the other person at any time during or after the relationship of there is suspicion of sexual activity...

• It matters because 18 is the legal age depends what country you're in. If love was love then your 22 yr old should wait for you.

• There's the legal factor. Don't date jail bait.

• Just wait until you're 18. Honestly, I doubt that any 24 year old would go out with a 16 year old. Very different parts of your life and if a 24 year old wants to date anyone under 18 he is honestly disgusting and only wants sex.

• 16 is the leal ae of consent in most states... It's actually common to see a 16 year old with 21 or 22 year old...

• 16 is "still" too young thats why

• I just fail to comprehend why? Being 16 and being on love with someone who's 22 is not the biggest problem in the world right now. I honestly believe that age is nothing more than a number, I also believe that it is not an indicator of maturity or lack of.