Does it sound like gibberish when people speak Spanish?

If you don't know Spanish does it sound like gibberish. I'm trying to learn French now and I feel this is the way English speakers hear it like. How in the world will French sound clear to me? I'm bilingual so I never knew how hard it was. I always wanted to know what they heard when they heard others speak it. So now I know...

Most Helpful Guy

• every language sounds like gibberish the first time hearing it, unless it sounds similar to another language (i.e. korean and japanese). But, language is the easiest thing for people to learn - not to say that it is easy, but the human mind is wired to learn language above anything else. Indeed, if all other topics were recast and taught as a language, people would have a much easier time learning them.

but, if you hear any language long enough, you'll be able to identify it. Even longer and you'll be able to understand it. The sub-conscious does all the work for you: although the ability to do this does tend to degrade with age.

What Guys Said 5

• I took two years of Spanish in high school and it still sounds like gibberish to me. It just sounds way too fast, lots of 'eh's and 'oh's.

• I always wanted too understand their sense of humor, by understanding the language

• I'm a functional speaker I took and retained 4 years of highschool so I can do it at an 8th grade level. The preterite causes some trouble for me at times but other than that I'm alright. French is tough lol cause it flows more.than Spanish which makes things tougher.

What Girls Said 3

• Not really. When I would get Spanish customers (and whenever I hear it on tv) they always seem to enunciate every single word. Its easy to tell that they're speaking Spanish.
    Even when they talk fast its always very enunciated lol
    French on the other hand does sound a bit more like gibberish, its like speaking in cursive, everything flows together

• You can often make out words and feel a sense of flow to the words, but apart from that it makes no sense whatsoever.

• I laughed when i read your question. I remember being in Argentina, i asked for help in pronouncing some words, it sounded different from i was used to hearing in Peru.

It still sounds like gibberish to me 😉

• Learn Portuguese! So much easier