Can someone please explain casual relationships to me?

I hear this term often but it makes no sense to me. I don't date much. I've never really had a firm grasp on the dating world. I tend to just float through life meeting people along the way and building close friendships, some of which included sex. I went on my first date at the age of 20 with a girl I'd already known for 3 years and had sex with. First and last date at least so far. And never had an official girlfriend so clearly I don't know what I'm doing. I've always understood dating as going out with a person that you hope you may marry and ending it when you no longer see that as a possibility but the idea of casual relationships just through me a curveball. Why take the time to invest so much in a relationship that you don't see going anywhere? Or am I not understanding casual relationships correctly? And I do mean casual relationships not casual dating I completely understand going on a couple dates with someone just because. Are they the same thing?

Most Helpful Guy

• casual , usually means not that serious in nature , your seeing that person but not in a serious relationship with them or at least not as serious as an official relationship

• So what's considered official or serious

• I'd say when your introduce that person to family or friends , make it official on social networking sites or have mutually agreed that your official and not seeing any other people

What Girls Said 1

• Ok so i said that to one of my boyfriends at the beginning of our relationships coz honestly i was a little freaked out and didn't want to fall too hard and get burned you know. I didn't want to be vulnerable. so i said this to him and it turned out to be one of my most serious relationships I've had so far. But she could just not be ready for one yet or maybe she's unsure of her feelings for u? or maybe she wants a bit of the sex. I'm not sure thats my take but i'm not in your situation so i can't know for sure that my advice works but yeah. Girls have issues they dont know what they want half the time. im a girl and i dont know why im so indecisive about relationships but i agree with you on the wasting time in a relationship u expect to not really go anywhere. Relationships are difficult things!! good luck !

• Oh I'm not in a casual relationship I was just asking a general question but thanks anyways

What Guys Said 2

• Casual relationships are basically friends with benefits. The two people are friends and have recreational sex, but there is nothing emotionally substantial there.

• Oh well that explains like 95% of my relationships lol now I know what to call it thanks

• A casual relationship is when two people get into a relationship to get something out of it. For example, sex, emotional closeness, companionship, etc. You go into it with rules, and you accept that at some point it's going to end, when its purpose has been fulfilled

Not my thing personally but I can understand the appeal