Is it always the guy who has to pay for dates? Does that also mean all girls are after money then?

Well I've never been in a relationship nor dated anyone but the internet is filled with the ideology that the guy pays for the dates and girls just are stringent about spending their money. So does that also mean all girls are after money?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the people, their beleifs, their finances est. in my opinion if you don't have money you shouldn't be going anywhere period.

I don't know where you're from, but in America the "man pays for dates" came about because women couldn't work-thus didn't have any money. If a man wanted her time, HE HAD to provide the transportation and finances to support the evening. The tradition still stayed even after women started to become collectivity employed, because even though they were able to work their wages were not enough to cover the costs of courtship. The tradition started out as a necessity in order for men to find/pick partners, not only did paying for dates allow the men to have private time with women away from their family, it also showed his generosity and ability to provide economically since women weren't legally/socially able to do so on their own.

Now-a-days the tradition still exists to some extent in American culture. It is thought of as a gentlemanly gesture, and some women still use it as a gauge to a mans economic stability/generosity. However the preference/requirement for a man to pay depends on the woman. Many women prefer to pay for THEIR OWN food (not splitting the bill), many women prefer to split the bill 50/50, many women prefer free dates with no financial exchange at all, many women prefer that the man pays. It all depends.

However many men prefer that a woman doesn't pay on the first date, but soon after frequent dates. Some men prefer to pay for THEIR OWN FOOD, some men prefer to split the bill 50/50, some men prefer to go on free dates with no financial exchange at all, some men prefer that the woman pays. IT all depends.

At the end of the day everyone has their own desires/requirements in a relationship. If you don't want to pay on the first date you don't have to, just respect someone Else's preference if they reject you over it. Simply find a woman with the same ideals/preferences that you do.

What Girls Said 12

• I pay for a lot of things, i even brought my boyfriend a gift for his mum from him, i take him out to lunch. All you really need to do is ask every now and then just say "hey could you pay for this one and i'll get the next one" it's really not that hard. Usually guys just pay for it before a girl can even have a chance. But we were kinda brought up on the whole idea that guys pay for everything because of movies, so try get her out of the habit explain how it's not fair.

• Guys definitely don't have to pay for dates. Like, if she asked you out then I think she should pay because she's the one takin you out. Personally, I will pay half unless he offers to cover the bill. At that point he's just being a gentleman and it's sweet.

• No. I firmly believe in splitting the bill. I don't want to "owe" a guy anything.

• Many girls think that splitting the bill means it was just a friendly lunch/dinner and not a date. Or do you mean like a 60:40 or 70:30 split arrangement?

• Hail hail! Psychology is fun IMO.

• It is fun :D :D

• Whoever planned it pays

• Do or have you ever plan it?

• Without a doubt

• I planned movies a lot and the park. The park is free so I paid for the food after. 9/10 he reimbursed me out of the kindness of his little heart.

• wrong ideology dude! when we're going on dates both of us pay

• nope, its usually guys who won't let the girl pay, its so sweet though. wanting to take care of her. it doesn't have to be a big thing ya know?
    id rather split the bill or something

• It is a big thing, considering how tough the economy is, taking care of many other expenses. But I'd be more for unbalanced splitting (like 60:40)

• that kinda sucks though right?
      thats just terrible
      my man is gonna sit his ass down and we aren't going to bed till its resolved
      or till we lose our voices
      which ever comes first

• lol I hear you!

• I'd like to think that it is equally shared cost if you continue dating. But whomever asks for the first date should pay, which is often men.

• No, when I go on dates I pay my way or we split the tab. However, majority of the men I've dated would insist that they pay for me as well.

• I think if you two are together it should be a partnership personally. Taking turns to take each other out. Not one person paying for everything

• I like to pay my own things, but guys I've been with strongly suggest they pay all.
    It makes me feel guilty, but I always appreciate it and try to make up for it when I have the chance (:

• Wouldn't make me feel guilty at all.

• I don't want him to think all I care is money, that I'm cheap, or that I don't have money.

• Its just a custom that men tend to pay more than women do. Doesn't mean all women are just after money. ?

• I've literally never let a guy pay for me on a date. I got called a gold digger once because a guy bought me a bracelet, so now I don't even like to accept gifts.

• You should have shoved it up his ass. lol Accepting gifts and demanding gifts are two different things. Don't feel like shit because some jackass wanted to be little you because he didn't get what he wanted out of you.

What Guys Said 4

• I love reading the girls' answers to this question. That is all.

• Yuuuup and yet they ask for equality, talk about double standards!

• she needs to offer, but he always pays. thats just how it is. if she offers, that means she won't chase guys with money because that shows that she COULD pay for it

• Yeah, the men are are ALWAYS supposed to make the first move, and ALWAYS pay for dates, only to be disappointed later when the woman finds someone better and moves on. In spite of so many changes in gender roles, women stick to age-old 18th century traditions when it benefits them, but demand equality in other cases. Hypocrisy of the highest order.