Do you think that single moms should only date and be in relationships with single dads?

I'm asking this because I thinks its kinda unfair for a single parent to date someone that doesn't have kids simply because the kids will be #1 in the single parent's life and the bf/gf/ will never be, while the bf/gf with no kids will have the single parent #1 in their life that's why I think that single parents should only date single parents because they are in the same boat. The only situation where I think that a single person should consider dating a person with kids is when they can't have kids of their own but want kids or if the kids are grown. Not saying that a parent shouldn't put their kids1st so don't think I'm saying that, I just think it would be better for single parents to date other single parents.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a single mum, I'm 22 (judge me if you will), I've recently starting putting myself back on the market and I prefer to go for men who have kids. Not necessarily single dads (fathers who have primary care of their child/ren) but men who have kids. For a number of reasons; first being that they themselves are a parent and understand the necessity that their child/ren comes first, and that's unconditional. Second, anyone I bring into my life, particularly a man, may ultimately be a father figure for my son. I need to be able to trust that said man can live up to that (and I know that just because a man has kids it doesn't Automatically make him a father figure but this is where I introduce my gut instinct and common knowledge), and lastly because we are both in the same boat. Both have kids, both been through separation, it just creates a mutual understanding base that is very hard to find with someone who doesn't have kids. And also too, if both of us have kids from previous relationships, there is no one black sheep. I always stress that I may find a man with no children, he and I will have our own kids and my first born is kinda the black sheep if that makes sense. Where as bringing in another child from another relationship can help. The kids have both been through the same situations etc etc.

What Girls Said 5

• No, that is stupid.
    I have dated a couple of guys with kids and it was never a problem. I knew their kids had to be 1st. That also limits potential dates and dating/meeting people can be hard enough.
    If a parent wants to limit themselves and only date other parents so they have someone they can relate to that is one thing but for to say all parents should is dumb and unrealistic.

• I prefer to date men with children of their own as a personal preference; I however don't necessarily believe I am limiting myself (yet - still only new to it), but it's great to hear that you have that maturity and understanding when dating men with kids when you don't have your own. World needs more people like you. It's women like you that make the greatest step moms and ultimately mums themselves :)

• No, absolutely not! People can date whoever they want as long as the other side is willing.

• I agree, but if someone can deal with being with someone with kids, then good for them...I'm SICK of single dads hitting on me...yeah yeah, your kid may be cute, but I won't date you

• Hitting on you/ Wow they must be very desperate.

• I don't insult I just kick the facts.

• Lol There are no facts

• I don't think they should only date each other. My sisters ex is a dead beat dad, and her new boyfriend does everything for my nephew that a father should. He wants to be a father to my nephew even though he doesn't have kids. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What I don't get is if a single parent won't date another single parent. It seems kind of hypocritical. I know a guy like that. He has kids, but he refuses to date single moms. He only wants women who don't already have kids.

• personalities vary amongst so many people, i know that SO many people within my generation are single parents, at 23 it's frustrating...
    but wouldn't you expect that some people, who don't have children, are more than willing to take in their partner as well as their children? to include their children as number one on their priorities as well?
    and again you may find some parents who enjoy living life like they've never had children, therefor adults without children will be well suited...
    it's honestly a tough one to answer, but you've got to bare in mind that not every parent is the same, nor every person who haven't had children :)

What Guys Said 3

• I wouldn't rule them outta dating people without kids, but I do feel they will most likely relate better to a single parent. At the same time, depending on their job, they may have issues dating though. "I can't find a sitter" is something I hear that comes up a lot with single parents trying to date.

• I don't think they have to, but it makes a lot of sense.

• it's more realistic.

single moms who expect some guy to come along and pay for/raise another man's children are like fat chicks who expect to get a guy who's a couple of pounds away from having visible abs.

• While I do agree with this to a point, not all is single mums are looking for a man to just for financial reasons haha I'm a single mum and I have no intention of replacing my sons father, he already has a great one. And I have done everything on my own from day one of separation. I am however just looking for a new special someone to share my life with; not expect them to pay for everything and take over responsibility of my child.
      We aren't all bad.