Should I be suspicious?

So my ex and I broke up about 3.5 weeks ago. It was a fairly sketchy break-up initiated on his side, with no really good reason for it (or so I thought at the time), though I did find out later that he was after another girl. anyway, so other than some brief texting or email the week of the break up, we've had no contact (though I did see him in class a week ago). It was tough at first, but I am really starting to think I'm better off without him. whew!

Anyway, now all of a sudden his really close friend (who is a girl) is asking me to hang out and what not. I mean, I always liked her and would like to get to know her better but isn't the timing a little...off? We've never hung out before or really talked much besides in passing at school or when I was hanging out with my ex. She was really supportive when I was going through the breakup and I did somewhat reach out to her because of it. However, that just ended with generic talk of hanging out sometime in the future...AND it was a couple weeks ago.

Should I be suspicious that suddenly she is wanting to hang out with me? (twice already this week?) People are telling me to be careful because they think she could be on a "spy mission" lol.

Frankly I think it could be one of three things:

1) She is on some sort of spy mission (haha)

2) She just genuinely wants to be better friends

3) She pities me, so she is asking me to hang out.

so should I be suspicious!? the reason I'm even bringing this up is because I know my ex, and I totally wouldn't put it past him to try to pull a fast one somehow (or something) through his friend...

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe she didn't get a chance to get to know you well until the breakup, and now she's realized what a fun person you are.

Maybe she felt awkward asking you to hang out when you were dating him cause then she'd have to invite him too or look like she was purposefully excluding him, or maybe she thought your time was completely monopolized by him.

I dated this one guy for a few months... he broke up with me to get back together with his ex. By pure circumstance, we crossed paths and met, and I found that I actually really liked her. I initiated contact at first, and while things didn't work out between them, 3 years on, she's one of the best girls I've ever met, and we're still very good friends, even while I'm overseas and she's in Portland.