Is there anything I can do about my boyfriend playing video games?

Before I begin, I am a gamer myself. Only as a casual gamer, but nevertheless I do loving playing them, watching them, etc.

My boyfriend, however, plays it all the time; especially when I go over his house. I can respect him playing it, and I enjoy watching him play them. However, it takes away the time I want to spend with him. He would even chat online with his friends in a party, and it bothers me that he'll be playing and chatting with them when I feel like it should be just us hanging out. He always plays video games; whenever I video chat him or whatever. It's fine when we're video chatting or texting, because I don't mind it; I wouldn't care as much. However, when I'm physically with him, I want to be able to spend time with him without him playing every time, especially if I want to have sex with him or something.

Am I in the wrong here or what?

Please keep in mind that I never said that I want to "change" him. I'm just simply asking how to go about the situation.

Most Helpful Guy

• He sounds immature and not ready for girlfriend

• He's not immature. He just has a bad habit.

• Thank you for Most Helpful:) xD

• you sound like a dick head

What Guys Said 14

• No, you're not in the wrong. It sounds like he plays games 8 hours a day which is a lot. He probably doesn't, but it still sounds like he could take some time off to spend time with you. I would just tell him or at least invite him to do things that don't involve playing games. Or just tell him the games are interfering with sex. That should set him straight.

• Alrighty, that's one good idea. Thanks.

• You're not in the wrong at all. You may not be able to convince him to change his habits though. You can have a discussion about it and let him know how you feel to give him a chance. Truth is though, he may be like this for a long time or always and there's not anything you can do to change it. Then you'll have to make a decision whether to stick with him or not. It may just be who he is.

• I can respect that up to a certain point. We've talked about it, but I don't think it will change his habit.

• For him it might be if you've already talked to him about it and he's not changing any of his habits or seeming to want to do anything differently. All I'm saying is it's useless to try to force him to do it and it won't make the relationship any better. If he's not willing to do it of his own accord then you need to make the choice to stick with him or leave. It'll be much better for both of you.

• Alrighty.

• Make plans to spend time together not at his house.

If you go to a movie together, or go get a meal or something, he can't exactly being the games with him.

• That is one idea. Thanks!

• I know where he's coming from. If my girlfriend comes over, and I'm playing 2K or Madden, I have to finish the game. I tell her, "I love ya babe, but I'm not taking an L just to cuddle."

• I get it, but not when it's a constant 24/7 thing. Or maybe I'm just not getting it?

• Yeah, if its a 24/7 thing, that's a problem you have talk about with him.

• Sounds great! Why are you with him again?

• He's a great person. He just happens to have a bit of a bad habit. A useful advice could be given here, though.

• I guess you can't help who you love. You're gonna have to talk it out, for real without looking all controlling, I want you to be careful because sometimes it can hurt to find out what his true love is. If he loves you he'll make time, tell him how you feel and let the games begin. Be firm and be honest, you deserve that, you sound like a good girlfriend.

• Thank you for the advice! ^^

• Give him head while he plays, I'm not trolling either.

• Useless answer, thanks buddy.

• Like, I wish you luck lol, video games is the devil. The only way I see are take it away or bitch at him.

• Its sad that women have too compete with technology these days, no you can try and change him but you reconize his first lobe, like i say its a shame

• I never have any intention of changing him. I only wish that he acknowledges his habit, and not allow it to interfere when we should be intimate.

• I just hope this doesn't evolve to be an issue.

• We all have too grow up sooner or later, whether we want too or not

• Hmm.

Step in front of TV.

Take off bra and panties.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you're in trouble.

• I guess I can't argue with that point.

• Also, keep in mind, conversation could be boring for him if it's not interesting. Like, there's a big difference between when I'm discussing some important or interesting or fun issue with a girl, vs when she's going on about boring details about things I couldn't care less about.

• I have considered that, too. Idk, I'll just have to see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

• You can only tell him how you feel. If you already have, and he still hasn't done anything about it, you need to re-evaluate your relationship and ask yourself why you're with him and if you can tolerate it. If you haven't, I suggest you do so and see what he does. Then go from there

• Thank you for the advice. Straight to the point, and no assumptions.

• As Freak said he seems immature. You cannot change his stripes.

• He's not immature, or so I don't think he is. He just happens to have a bad habit. I understand that he may never change, but all I ask is how to go about the situation.

• Never said I would change him. I only wish that he has managed to acknowledge his habit, and avoid letting interfere our time to be intimate.

• Letting it**

• This happened to me... except it wasn't that she came over to my place. But at night she wanted to talk EVERY night and some nights I wanted to play. So we would fight about it.

Personally a times there is ME time and I could care less for others needs. Then there is OTHERS time, when I take time for people I care about the gf, parents, friends.

In my case me and my ex broke up due to the games thing. My new g. f doesn't really care provided I see her every week. And I do make time for her every weekend and we do something ELSE other than video games. With her I actually don't play at all nor does she fight with me if I wanted to play at night instead of talking to her all night. She's a busy bee with her career.

So maybe you need a different type of guy, because my gf and ex gf are VERY different girls when it comes down to personality.

• I understand when someone just wants to play a game for the night and not chat. I get that. But when I say overboard with games, I don't mean it as a dramatic thing. Literally, he does play too much, so when I ask for a little time with me (just a little bit), it's a very small part from his day. I don't constantly ask too talk too much. I may have gone overboard with hanging out with him, but I realize what I need to limit and control, so he has his space. Other than that, I would never ask him to change his habit.

• So just ask him to give you time on say a Saturday and get him OUT of the house. So no video games are involved and go do something. If he says no or he wants to play, then you need to probably end this relationship.

• No you're not wrong to feel this way, it's perfectly understandable. I find what he's doing to be quite rude, I'd never invite someone around my house and have them sit there watching me play games. If they want to play games themselves then I have a second controller so we can play together, but I certainly wouldn't force my girlfriend to watch me play every single time she was around.

Have you spoken to him about how you feel?

• Yeah, I have. I told him that I would never force him to stop doing what he enjoys. I just only brought up how he plays too much, but otherwise I would never tell him to change his habit. And he knows this, because I understand what he feels towards video games; I feel the same way.
      All I really ask for is that we spend some time together away from the controller, even for just an hour. I don't mind watching him play any game or such. Just sometimes he goes overboard. It doesn't have to be a non-stop thing when I'm physically there. He can simply resume it once we've finished hanging out for the day.

However, if it continues to persist, I may just have to break up with him.

• That's perfectly understandable.

Hopefully he'll change his way before any break up is necessary. It would be a crying shame to split up over video games.

Good luck. :)

• It would be a shame. :/ Thank you.

• You're one of the things I'm scared of having to deal with in a relationship. I am not changing my life for you, if I want to game I'm going to game. Couldn't stand the idea of a girl trying to alter my lifestyle. Live with it.

• It's not even about changing his lifestyle. You jumped from one thing to another. I simply just want to be able to hangout with my guy without him having to become so sucked into a game, even for just a little bit. What's the point of having hanging out if you're not gunna just put down the controller for like hour?

• Whatever, you're brain dead

• Whatevs, you're hard-head.

What Girls Said 3

• Girrrrllll I feel you on that haha my bf used to be like that still is sometimes... But you need to talk to him! Tell him how you feel communication is key! Explain to him that you want to spend alone time with him with out the video games or something along those lines just express how you feel. He probably just thinks your fine with it he probably has no idea... Guys are like that clueless sometimes... well most are.. No offense guys. But you truly need to talk to him express how you feel be honest.

• Thank you for the advice! :)

• Sounds exactly like my boyfriend. Except unlike yours, he tends to just randomly pause his game and decide to push me down on his bed (cos we're usually sitting on his bed since its comfy) and make out, which tends to go further about 80% of the time.

I dont think you're wrong for feeling like you do, I sometimes feel the same myself. Just talk to him about it, and maybe you two can work out something that makes you both happy :)

• He usually does that, too (what your boyfriend does). Just that I feel like he does it a bit too much. Again, I would never ask him to change it. I just only want him to acknowledge his habit, and not let it interfere when it should be our time to be intimate.

• Yea I know exactly how you feel, I'm the same. There are things about my boyfriend I dont really like, but I would never ask him to change. The one time I did speak up (it was at the start of our relationship) he said he didn't realise it bugged me, and he would stop it, which he did & it kind of made me feel a little bad for a bit. Sometimes guys dont realise how different they are to us, and its not really anyones fault, guys are just biologically hardwired differently. So we have no choice but to tell them how we feel and let them choose to do as they will with what we tell them. Most of the time, if its something minor like the habit your boyfriend has, or the one mine had, they will try to change it regardless of whether you say its not a big deal and you wouldn't try to change them, especially if they really care/love you. I'm sure he will ubderstand if you speak to him about it :) communication is the key in any relationship.

• Thank you for the advice! :D

• he is incredibly rude, and he probably thinks you are too boring for his full attention.

I don't know if i count since im a girl, but im there 100% for people i care about, and only when people bore me to death do i log back on.

• Maybe I'm just not totally as involved with games as he is. But he literally talks about it a lot, plays it a lot, watch it a lot, etc. I know that it's not because he's bored of me so he games to be entertained. Our relationship is good (knock on wood), but he literally gamed a bit too much. And i say that lightly.

• Games**