Guys would you be offended if a girl offers to pay for your meal?

I like this guy and we've only went out for lunch once before and we went dutch at that time. He's currently looking for a job and hasn't got any income, so I know he needs to save up.

We're going out again tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should offer to pay for our lunch, plus I kind of want to go to the cinema as well, which means he would have to spend more.

What should I do? Should I just go dutch again and not ask to go to the cinema?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, wait, read this first!!!

So first of all, since you're going out tomorrow, tell him what he expects to do...
    Mention that to him hours before you go out is good or whenever you feel it is right to be done,

"There this cool movie I want to watch called "Name", it seems interesting, up for it?"
    Of course test it in your own way.

For lunch,
    If you guys are already dating do it in a way to seem like a tease,
    "Oh today is my treat and you can do nothing about it!" something funny so doesn't feel
    like you are actually offering money to him.

But if you're not dating each other (or dating) either ways I suggest this as the best option to do,
    Tell him that we're going to split the bill, it's fair and understandable and doesn't seem that it have any other motives, if he the type of men who prefer to pay the lunch for his lady or insist to not to do so, tell him next time it will be your treat! (This way he will expect to pay for both of your lunch (Safe) and he might forget about it (Safe)

You never know what thoughts he might think about you paying the bill, It could be as worse as you're not satisfied with him! or he might actually be thinking that you fell bad for him cause he is low on budget (That may lower his confidence thus ruining the hangout).

So split the bill is the best there to it.
    But here is a smart tip:
    Buy the two cinema tickets before you guys hangout, and tell him a white lie (Example: My friend was going to hangout with me today but she didn't come and now I have this ticket, so can you use it, you don't have to pay for it!) you get the point, it works like charm.

But make sure he have free time tomorrow and inform him about that both of you will go to the cinema to watch a movie.

Best of luck!

What Guys Said 6

• It's safest to play down the cinema for now and view it later on DVD, then do cinema when he has job cash.

If the cinema idea (&/or other venues upcoming) is embraced by all and the hurtle is his ticket pay, then something well in advance needs to be invented so he can compensate you for you paying for his ticket, e. g. if he's a great chef at home, or yardboy, auto detailer, whatever he loves to do anyway but you find valuable in trade. This is offered only as #2 b/c eventually, some gals will feel cheated and this arrangement becomes a ticking time bomb.

• Well if he doesn't have the money he shouldn't be going out places. Maybe he could rent a redbox and cook you a nice lunch or dinner or something. He's not spending money he doesn't have plus he's cooking for you and if its good isn't that what all woman want. I think dinner he cooked for you and a movie at the house is a more romantic private date then lunch and a movie spending money it seems he doesn't have

• Hmm I would usually always offer first.. If she insisted on paying it isn't I would refuse her though.

• If you have the money than it wouldn't be a bad idea to offer to pay since he has no income. I wouldn't bring up about his financial, it might make him feel bad. Just tell him since he paid last time, that you'll pay this time. He may be offended a little, but deep down he most likely will feel relieved.

• Go for it. If you know his situation I think he'll understand. If this ever happened to me I'll be embarrassed a little bit (definitely not offended) but I'll certainly be appreciative. Very nice thing to do btw.

• Not at all, what would I suggest is that I pay for the meal and she pays for the cinema tickets. I think that would be a fair compromise wouldn't you?

What Girls Said 2

• I know I'm not a guy, but I would see why it would be.

Sure if I said I have the tab everytime, yes I could see how he would be offended but if we're in a relationship especially marriage it's all about sharing.

• I pay for all my friends' meals. ^^ It's unless they insist to split it. XP