How to tell a guy I can't date because of my parents? I appreciate every answer?

I am 22 years old and never had a boyfriend and thats because of my strict family. I always have to act like guys dont interest me in front of my family.

But now there's this guy that has been asking me out a couple times and I always said maybe even thiugh I really want to. And the guy got a little mad and said that i should finally decide what to do.

How can i say him i can't date him? I would live to but my parents would freak out

Most Helpful Girl

• Tell him exactly what you just told us

What Guys Said 5

• Well this scenario was obnoxious to read. How do these people even have children? Are they really that disgusted by their own relationship and marriage? Your parents clearly lack any sort of empathy, and I'm surprised environments like this even exist. I think what you should try to do is find a place to rent and move away from home, because this environment is unhealthy for personal development, not to mention abusive as well. Not to disrespect your parents or anything, but this is abnormal and overprotective behavior. You're 22! You should have your own autonomy by now.

• Are you still living with your folks? Guessing that's a yes, so just tell him that it would be ok in X amount of time. Or you could find something less datish to do. Like just happen to meet up at a theater/mall/sporting event. And you should probably talk to your parents, because hormones do happen, and suppressing their effects can lead to things they would probably not be happy about.

• I think the girl I am currently crushing on is in a situation like this. She used to iniate conversations with me but now avoids me like the plague

• You must be a muslim...

• No i am not. I am christian and we are not religious at all.

• thats weird...
      If you were younger I could understand this. But hell, you're 22. Just screw your parents and do what you want. You wanna stick with their rules until you get old? you only live once

• You'll just have to be honest and explain the situation to him. If he's a reasonable guy, he will understand.

What Girls Said 2

• why is your family so strict? you're 22, an adult, you should be able to date whoever you want.

• I know. I really dont know why my family is like that. They know I am ladylike. They make my life really hard

• you can't let your family control your life! go and tell that guy what the problem is and see if he is still interested. if he is, go for it!!

• QA should rather try to find a way to get away from her abusive home rather than figure out how to tell the guy "no".

• Why would you let your family control you like that? I think that is the actual problem here, you are a grown up, they can't decide who or when you should date.