Is it illegal for a 16 year old to date an 18 almost 19 year old?

I heard that in Canada, its not necessarily illegal to have sex with anyone 4 years older but its also not necessarily legal either. I understand that at 16 you're a minor but if a 16 year old can date a 20 year old with consent to sex then how is it illegal to date an 18 year old, im rather confused atm. i understand the law is changing constantly just wondering, also I was told the other day that Lorde the singer is dating a 24 year old and she is only 17, how is that legal?

Most Helpful Guy

• famus people can get away with a lot more than regular people because it creates publicity.

I thought the law was if the age difference is no grater than 2 years it's not illegal, it may have been changed to 4 after I was 18 ish. I heard it referred to as the "romeo and juliette" law. which makes sense because if person A was 16 and B was 17 sure it's legal but the minute B turns 18 they are still alloud to date because it's not like they will take a 2-3 year break and get back togther.

the thing about Canada is we tend to change laws every so often, it's okay but the change should be locked in for a min of say 2 years or something.

are you sure it's a min and max of 4 years or is it anything 4 years and younger?

What Guys Said 5

• It won't be illegal to date.
    Some countries or states have a minimum age of consent, so it's illegal for an adult to have sex with anyone below that age. The minimum age is probably 16.

• I guess it just depends on the country and the laws, really I don't see the problem I was dating a girl 9 years older than me when i was 16-17 years old so I don't see why it would matter that much

• It's not illegal as long as you're above the age of consent.

• Dude. The age of consent is 16 in Canada. Are you in the UK or Canada...

• No its not illegal... nothing is wrong with it , perfectly normal

What Girls Said 1

• Date NO... Sex YES!

But honestly it's really petty 13yr olds date 16yr olds and probably aren't allowed to but can have sex. But a 16yr old and a 19yr old can't it makes no since and is still only a 3yr difference.

So what do they seriously expect a couple to stop once they're 18 until the other one is... It makes no since 3yrs 2 or just 1yr difference is stupid!