Would you ever date someone who suffers from depression?

Would you ever dare someone who suffers from depression?

Or is that a turn off for you?

• Yes, I would
  • No, I would not
  • See results
If no, why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• My dad is currently married 25+ years to a woman who has been depressed for well over 20 years. She lost both of her parents, just before I was born and I'm 25. She takes medicine for it but she will never get over it. Yet he continues to love and support her... and me :)

What Guys Said 15

• Yes, I definitely would. Having depression as an illness to manage doesn't mean that the person with the depression is walking around all day feeling depressed. That's because there are such good treatments for depression, and more is being learned about the biochemical basis of depression all the time. Analogies are always imperfect, but it is somewhat similar to a person with insulin-dependent diabetes. They do what they have to do to manage their condition. Same thing with depression.

• Sure. Join the club.

• There should be a "maybe" option. I believe when you say "depression" you're referring to some kind of clinical depression. Suffice it to say it's a red flag, but not necessarily a deal breaker. I have (very briefly) dated a woman who was depressed. It didn't last long, I'm afraid. As near as I could tell, she was doing absolutely nothing about it.

• Yes, I would. I have had problems with anxiety and depression so I understand it. I know that it is somewhat treatable and the things that are not, I wouldn't have a problem with cuz I understand them.

• I have Bipolar so it's hard to find someone to accept me for the disorder plus other stuff too

• Yes, I would, because I have been clinically depressed my whole life. I'm better now, so that makes me really, really, happy.

• Yes, I would. I'd rather they're depressing than obnoxiously optimistic.

• I am currently, it's tough so i build her forts and poke her face. It helps.

• No, I don't have time to deal with other people's issues. I've got my shit straight therefore I expect my partners to have their shit straightened out as well.

• Yes, but only on the grounds that they are attempting to treat it. If they are not then no.

• Mehbeh. If she was joooooooooooocy :)

• Yep, I would even try to help

• Remember, dating someone can help with their depression as well and you could be of relief.

• That's a tough one. I'll say that probably not. It would be complicated. There is a lot to learn about what is okay and not okay to say or talk about. That will take a while. Then I would have to talk to her about her depression because she will likely bring it up at times. I just don't that I would have a happy time with her.

• I did that once got into an argument said sleep it off and I woke up without a penis. So no.

What Girls Said 10

• I definitely would. The fact that they are not perfect and they have problems makes me think that they're human and makes me want to hug them.

It's not like they choose to be that way. Of course, I would never date someone who fakes depression because he wants the attention. That's just sick.

However, I would and I want to date a depressed guy and I don't know if I would be more kind or more realistic about the matter. I think I'd still be me and I wouldn't try to change him.

• Interesting...
      Thanks!

• Nope. Makes me uncomfortable. there's so many people with worse problems and then there's me with my "problems", seems stupid to me

• I've talked to a psychologist once. Not that I needed it, but I knew her well as a person. She knows more about me than I know myself.

It was a relief!

Be selfish for a bit. If others with worse problems than yours choose to skip seeing a doctor, that doesn't mean you should do the same.

• I have had the same boyfriend for a year and a half and I have depression. He supports me endlessly. Some days he is like the only reason I am still sane.

• Nice to hear. Good that there are still people who care.

Good luck to you both :)

• I'm inclined to say no, but if I were already in a relationship with someone and it came later on, I would help as much as I could (which isn't much) and try to be supportive.

• Pretty much all the close friends and boyfriends I've had suffer from depression, so yes. I feel like it's too common to be avoided.

• I suffer from it myself so yes I would.

• Well my experience with it was pretty bad. He was like bi-polar about everything and I he hadn't started treating yet... I no what him cuz he treated me like shit in front of people, but thought it should be ok to treat differently she we were alone. I wouldn't do it again cuz I had a bad experience.

• I've had major depression for nine years and I understand that it's difficult to deal with me sometimes but we're all people!

• I would, because I go through it

• Probably not tbh

• May I ask why not?

• I have been around negativity in the past so I don't want to be around someone that will keep me in that state. I would rather focus on the positivity and a depressed person won't allow me to do that.

• No way. I have depression, I couldn't handle being with someone that has it too.