Do you believe a 13 year old knows of love, or could be in love?

Little sister thinks she's in love, she's on 13, would love to hear your opinions.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your little sister is definitely capable of feeling love.

Some people have responded that it's not possible because of her age, but that's only because they have a very narrow minded view of what love is. Love comes in different forms, whether it's a preteen / teenage obsession, or the adult version which is to have a family together or spend the rest of their lives together.

The feelings of a teenage girl are not invalid, simply because she's 13. I have not heard anyone say that feelings of love only become recognized when you hit 18 years of age. In fact, my experience tells me the feelings of love in a teenager, which are often to the degree of obsession, are much stronger than the feelings of an adult who is more composed. They are also different than those of an adult. Obviously, many teenage girls will be fantasizing about much their first kiss, holding hands, cuddling - while adults may be looking at compatibility, financial status, etc... However, everything I listed that teenage girls fantasize about, an adult would probably do as well. What adult couple doesn't kiss, hold hands and cuddle? At the same time, looking at the compatibility and financial status... etc of your significant other doesn't really fall in the category of love.

So I would say teenage love is in it's purest, most naïve form.

What Guys Said 8

• She is most likely infatuated by guy , she got puppy love that's all until she gets older than she will find out what real love in relationship is about

• i guess, it´s your personal, not yet fully elaborated concept of love probably far away from my personal concept of love but some kind of love for sure.

• Its most likely just a first time infatuation. Kids that age don't have any life experience with romantic relationships and are mostly just driven by the bombardment of hormones they get hit with at that age. We all go through that phase.

• Nope. No way. She has a big crush which is different because real love is when you can spend the rest of your days with this special someone, and i doubt your sister will make it even to the 1 year mark ( it is the age, hormones and shit).

• I don't think they do.

• No one under 18 knows about love

• Of course she's able to be in love, i've seen toddlers who've been in love.

• 0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Yes they absolutely feel love. People TOTALLY underestimate what type of feelings a preteen is capable of having. They really really do. She is absolutely capable of feeling attracted to a guy, but probably not capable of steering clear of all the traps. You are her big sister. It would be such a nice thing for you to try to guide her, oh and never, EVER say this: "You couldn't possibly know what love is. You're only 13." That is the worst thing you could say to a 13 year old in love at this tender stage.

• Yeah exactly, I'm trying to look out for her and I'm trying to make sure she doesn't invest too much too soon into this boy and be absolutely shattered in the end, I just don't know how to go about it.. I don't want to tell her whether it is or it isn't, because I myself have no idea.. but I don't want her to mistake lust for love and get hurt..

• Getting hurt is a natural part of life. I would just let her live this out. Why? Love is involved. You are probably not going to be able to convince her to stay away from it. As harsh as it sounds, she probably will get hurt, but she kind of has to. How else does one learn not to touch a burning flame? They have to touch it. Someone might tell them that it is not a good idea, but are they just going to take that person's word and never feel the heat of the flame?

• I think it is possible, but highly unlikely. At that age you are young, your brain isn't so developed, you aren't as experienced, and you aren't as knowledgeable. I think they very easily get confused with infatuation or love for the male attention, with actual love. At that age, I don't think you really know what you want or need and you are still developing (a lot), and most people grow apart, and become very different people.

• Hard to say. Love is subjective depending on the beholder. When I was 13, I thought I was in 'love' because the feelings were so powerful. Really, though, I was just insanely infatuated.

• Yes, i was in love when i was 13 too, it felt weird but really lovable and warm like you new that yo were in love. :")

• I had my first love at that age, I'm 16 now and I still think I loved him. Boo me all you want, but I really do. Its rare, but still in my opinion possible.

• This day and age, no. Its just lust at that point.