Do we expect too much from the opposite sex in terms of empathy and commitment?

Given the past experiences many people have to deal with, and the current problems that most people face in daily life, is it fair to expect people to be 'ideal' mates, especially when we first meet them?

Most of us aren't our best under pressure, and most of us are under quite a bit of it!

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like I relate to this question a lot. My ex apparently really liked me when we first start getting to know each other. And I was under a lot of stress at that time dealing with current issues and getting over past experiences. When he really got to know me more my broken and stressed side began to come out more and it really hurt me because he couldn't deal with it. I would have appreciated if he was the one who'd stand by my side and actually support me through my challenges. Yet at the same time I wouldn't feel like it'd be fair for me to drag him into my crap. Rather he chose to stand by my side through thick and thin was up to him.

What Girls Said 4

• I think people have to be smart about it and never stop evaluating themselves, their potential mate, and what they want out of a relationship. Is it reasonable to come at someone you just met with all your expectations? No, you don't know them enough to judge whether they meet all of them. I think that comes with time. And if they don't, does this mean they're not ideal? That's hard to say. I guess it depends on what expectations are deal breakers for you. If you meet a good person but your relationship with them needs a little work, I think that's worth it.

• No. Its not fair. I've learned to have silent wishes that I keep to myself, but in reality I have no expectations for anyone.

• Yes and no lol it depends on the person i personally think yes a little bit I just wish a guy would sweep me off my feet but I know that wint happen

• I have learned to expect nothing from no one.

What Guys Said 0