What makes you not want to commit in a relationship?

Let's say you've been seeing someone, going out on dates, texting, and everything like a normal couple would do, but how come you won't commit in a relationship with that significant other? What makes you not want to commit in a relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• i'm going to take a stab at this even if i'm way outside your age range and generation lol...
    many guys now a days actually at present see no benefit in a committed relationship they've seen and heard of too many couples (married & otherwise) break up , cheating and if married get fianacial raped in divorced courts... I know you'll say that doesn't apply to me (it may not you could be one of the good ones) but unfortuanatly 70 to 90% of all divorces are filed by women in todays world.. however women have caught up and surpassed men in the cheating world... to many young men have seen it even from jr high and on through college age young people.. or its something that's happened to them in their past relationships at some time.. oh there are guys out there that will commit and do it whole heartedly but they know and believe in their hearts they have a good one.. by that they've shown their men there is no way that they would do anything that would hurt their SO (bf's) .. and prove I by not doing anything.. some guys find themselves in relationships were their girlfriends best guy friend seems more important than them and spend more time texting , chatting and whatever than they do with their boyfriend =(bf) don't laugh it has and does happen all the time.. a deffination of a relationship is between 2 people and has no 3rd party ties involved in it. OK TO SET THE RECORD STAIGHT I'M NOT SAYING THAT YOUR THIS WAY.
    YOU ASK A QUESTION AND I'M GIVING YOU several REASON WHY SOME GUYS MIGHT ACT LIKE THAT so don't take this response personally because it wasn't meant as a personal attack on you

• But how could that girl prove to that significant other that she's not like the rest ( people who cheat)
      So there needs to be a good balance of being distant as well as being attentive?

• well if you remind of his 1st relationship 4 years long one then that says he thinks alt of you as a person I think as said just be there for him and continue o encourage him when he sees down.. i the best wy to show that you care deeply for him..

• Thank You So much!

What Guys Said 7

• honestly if she tries to snag me up way too early:p thats what makes guys not commit to begin with.

• historically, men's genes are designed to have polygamous relationship (sources unknown)

• Girl not hot enough.
    Girl has mediocre personality.

• If she wasn't hot enough, why were you dating her in the first place?

• He's probably in the process of getting out. Or waiting till he gets bored and then get out.

• was short term best available option, not good looking enough to commit monogamously too long term.

• I prefer being free. I want to do what I want and not answer to anyone. That's why I won't commit to a relationship.

• The potential for something better and the experience of past failures. Makes some people hesitant to trust again. Those are some big ones. Obviously there are numerous reasons why somebody would NOT commit.

• I will not commit to a relationship if she's not what I'm looking for in a woman (personality wise), or she has not been open enough yet for me to determine if she is the kind of woman I'm looking for (personality wise). If she is good looking and fun to be around I might keep seeing her and keep probing to figure out the things I need to know up to a point (the duration depends on perceived potential and how frustrating she is), but if she's just too closed off eventually I'm just going to leave her on her own and go date someone else. Another reason would be if she is pushy. If she's trying to force it, then I will adamantly refuse. If she gives me an ultimatum, then I will walk away and leave her hanging without a word.

• What if there was a point where your significant other frustrated you more than you could ever imagine, and you made her aware of the issue, and she worked on it, will you still give her a chance?

• It depends on the stage of the relationship and if she's earned my trust yet (that is what ultimately matters). I'm hard core loyal to the ones I love and care about. I'm very tolerant and fair of a lot of things if they've earned it through past actions and level of character. If I just started dating her though, then she's not even close to having that sort of commitment.

• Because I'm not that into her and keeping my other options open. She's fun, gives me something to do and somebody to do it with, but I'm not so into her that I want to be tied down to her. I'm enjoying myself while waiting for the right girl to come along. I'd like to think she's doing the same.

• What if there comes a point where she tells you how strong her feelings are for you. like let's say she's falling for you.

• Is there any way for him to change this mindset?

• Probably not. But more important, you don't want him to. His heart isn't there, no need to force it.

What Girls Said 3

• I have a ton of trust issues, so I'm afraid that if I let someone too close they'll just shit all over my heart. It doesn't matter how much I like the man, I'll never let my guard down.

• If I realise I don't love the guy, or just don't like him that much, I won't commit.

• If I don't love him