What does it mean if my boyfriend says he wants to take a break?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a couple of months. Today he said that he wants to take a break. What does this mean? Are we breaking up? Or should I wait for him? This makes me think he's not ready for a serious relationship... am I right?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm currently taking a break from my girlfriend so I might be able to offer some insight. Taking a break is usually something that happens because the couple needs some time apart to figure things out. It doesn't mean that he isn't ready to be in a relationship, it just means he needs time to clear his head and work out some issues that he has with either you or himself. Breaks can be very beneficial to a relationship and there's nothing with them. Whether or not you decide to casually see other people during this time is up to you and your boyfriend, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm currently not seeing any other women because it wouldn't be fair to the other women when I'm emotionally committed to someone else. Basically you need to decide if you want to take a break, stay together, or just completely cut him lose.

What Guys Said 3

• I wouldn't expect anything good from this but it usually leads to a realization of breaking up. you can wait and most likely he will eventually dump you or have hope. he might just honestly need a break:P but don't push him to talk about it to the extreme because that may just make him so frustrated and annoyed with you if he already is and cause a break up.

• He wants to hook up with other girls guilt free.

• It means he wants a way out of your relationship with him in a guilt free kind of way.

What Girls Said 2

• It could mean so many things... and it really depends on how your current relationship is and how he thinks... I can give you my experience... after about 3 months of going out... a week after my BF first told me he loved me, he wanted to take a break. There were many circumstances surrounding his decision. 1. He had just told me a heavy secret about himself 2. I hadn't told my family about him yet (well... still haven't two years later) and he didn't want to come between me and my family...3. He later confessed that he was afraid he would get hurt

When he suggested the break... he told me he didn't want to but thought it was for the best... he said we should take some time to think and then see if we still wanted to be together... he told me "if you love something set it free".. so he was setting me free... and it was basically my decision whether or not I wanted to come back... but if I did then he was going to keep me forever. Our break didn't last long though... only two hours... but it was the worst two hours of my life.

I feel like it's all about the other person protecting themselves and it's sort of cruel. I don't know how you feel... but I for one was very very upset because I just felt like it was a cop out... he was afraid I was going to dump him and that was more important to him... I did tell him I don't do breaks... and if he ever pulls that again it's completely over.

But I suppose good came out of it as it may for you... it sort of brought us closer together even if the break was just 2 hours because we both realized we couldn't be apart... and a couple months later he proposed...

So I give you my story as a different illustration of what other people wrote... even though in most cases it can lead to an actual break up... sometimes it doesn't.

Give him some time... at least a week or so before contacting him... but if possible... let him contact you first. But if he does sleep with other women... then dump him.

• it's like a mini break up most of the time. you could come back from a break and be just dandy though. give him a week or so and just ask him straight up how he feels about the relationship. best of luck love x