Do you prefer texting/chatting or actual phone calls?

I sometimes think it's old fashioned to talk to the person your getting to know or almost everyone on the phone is way better. I ask this questions because I realized lately that chats and texts can be interpreted the wrong way and the guy I'm talking to is a little more serious but he talks way more on the phone. I have a history of fights with people in chats because like I said it's so easy to misinterpret something. So wish do you prefer?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am not so comfortable talking on the phone at the begining. But i love to hear their voice. Their voices melt my heart. And i find that more intimate. After a certain time i become more relax on phone. Phone calls are more direct. Less misunderstandings i guess.
    I like more texting/chatting too. A short text is enough sometimes.

It depends our timing. I can use both of them.

What Guys Said 7

• Your observation about miscommunications in text is very accurate. This is basically because we all do not communicate like lawyers, and define what "is" is. Technically a written history provides more evidence about who said what, but very little about who interpreted something how.

Now as logical as I like to think of myself (lol), the truth of the matter is that people are emotional as a species, just some people more so than others, but even the most rational of people still possess feelings.

These feelings are conveyed in facial expressions and inflexions of voice, pitch, volume, etc.. that are not transmitted over text. This additional "data" creates a higher resolution to our communication and acts as "signposts" or "guides" on how the language should be interpreted, which contexts should be inferred and so on.

I think it goes like this-
    face-to-face > video > audio > text

To answer your question about which I prefer, I generally prefer actual phone calls (or voice-over-IP etc..).

• I would like to add to my answer that text does have its place (after all, GAG dialogue such as this is in text!). Text is not inherently "bad" or anything.

• Texting replaces the real meaning of communication. I like phone calls and i like chatting online
    but i want know who i'm talking to

• It depends. Texting is nice bcause you can do it very leisurely and spread it out for when you have moments. Talking on the phone is nice because I will just get more feeling out of hearing their voice say things. The bad part is after awhile I may get bored talking on the phone which will show up in my voice. With texting I don't get as bored because I can do other things simultaneously more easier.

• It is very difficult to convey tone trough text. That being said, texting somebody can be an effective way to become more comfortable 'with' them so that you are less nervous around them.

• The pros and cons... on the phone you can here real laughter and can tell by the tone of voice how they feel when they speak... with texting you can think before you answer... and give a smily face...

• Yeah that's why I prefer a call it's more personal. :)

• Its true though... not to mention that there's a lot more you can share in a short amount of time... OH and dont forget that when the conversations over its " goodbye"... not waiting 45 minutes for a response that never happens.

• I know! I get so mad when someone doesn't say goodbye or anything over text at least when you hang up it's like bye love you or something like that.

• i hate phone calls xD i need time to think about what was said and what i want to reply. so text is much prefered.

• Neither, i suck at both.
    I like it personal. up in yo face.

What Girls Said 9

• I hate phone calls because of the awkward silences that you get sometimes. But it can be good because its more "real" that way and you can tell the emotions better that way. Text is good because it gives time to think about what you want to say. But it can be bad because its easy to be "fake"

• Yeah I feel like on a call it's easier to tell if someone is being genuine but yeah I don't get much awkward silences moments though so idk. thanks :)

• I agree. If I was a more confident and talkative person I would love phone calls. I guess it has to do with me being shy lol

• I love texting! I text anyone and everyone. I only call people I know I have chemistry with so there are no awkward silences (Parents, close friends, grandparents, etc.)

• I prefer the phone, but texting works as well

• Calls are much better.

• I rarely text us the phone for the most part.

• I hate both but if i had to choose then texting/chatting

• I used to hate phone calls.
    Now, I really like them... it's weird.
    I still like texting too though, it gives me the freedom to do several things at once while still carrying on a conversation with them.

• The phone is so much more clear. Texting is fun and it's also a way to say stuff you may be too shy to say (yet, or at all) but then it turns into a wall.

• I know and it's so frustrating. I love hearing a guys voice and laughter over anything and at least we can hear how they express themselves.