How did women get boyfriends or husbands before makeup was invented?

Women in general look so gross without makeup, even the 'pretty' ones. i'm just wondering how women ever attracted men men before makeup was invented, in order fir the human race to have survived this long? Like, what would make a guy look twice at them?

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL this question is so rude but I don't know y i find it funny…

i can actually go out confidently without a hint of makeup tbh. so can a lot of women, because they are beautiful. i play around with makeup for fun most of the time lol, like face paint:P

anyway, the answer is simple. imagine that u live in the jungle, and u discover an apple tree, full of delicious apples. it becomes your favourite source of food. u suddenly discover over time theyv built a maccas in the jungle lol. u gonna ditch the apples and go for maccas. same thing.

when make up came around, men forgot what it was like to look at a woman's skin, imperfections and all, and say, wow, she's beautiful. they left the natural, and preferred the artificial.

• My wife even from when I first met her never wore makeup and still looks beautiful, and I do not want her to wear makeup either. There are plenty of guys like myself who find attraction enough without makeup. I'm having a hard time to tell if the Asker is just very slanted towards makeup, or if he is just outright trolling.

• Of course I don't think that. My questions shows that I don't think there's any kind of beauty. At all. Makeup doesn't count since it isn't their real face.

• thats what I'm trying to argue lol. beauty is possible without makeup… unfortunately u can't see it.

What Girls Said 36

• Not sure... I wonder how men ever got women considering that most of you behave like Neanderthals. On a good day.

• Often times even the Neanderthals would cringe...

• Hmmm... fire lights up the lonely cave while he spends his Neanderthal weekend nights alone and not dating Neanderthal girls. So my guess would be a yay on the fire. :-)

• DodgersGM, you are one weird-looking dude, no offense.

• Shame on you to imply women look gross without make up. How do you look.. without makeup? Last time I checked most men (not all) want pussy... and are grateful to get some... where does the make up come in into the equation? Trust me there are far too many men out there that want something warm to poke and they don't care about a woman wearing make up they are just glad they don't have to masturbate... again.

• And I didn't say women have to wear makeup. I'm complaining about how bad they look without it. I wished they looked better so they didn't have to wear it.

And yes, I do like pussy, but I can't exactly put my limp penis inside a girl. That's why the girl has to be hot, so she can give me an erection.

• no reply

• Dudes today and back then are and were desperate to get laid... so no make up needed.
      And Id like to quote brainy21 "in the same way as guys got gfs and wives when they were unemployed "

• How did men get girlfriends before pants were invented?

• what? you dont like dick?

• Did I ask you if you don't like women? Thanks for the downvote anyways.

I like dicks, but they aren't exactly visually pleasing. Same goes with women. Men like women for no particular reason, regardless of their make-up amount.

• they probably dated heterosexual men

• You mean homosexual? That would make sense, since most girls look like guys without makeup.

• Um, I think you've gotten so used to makeup that you think of it as the default.
    Beauty ideals change over time. Example - men were the first to wear high heels (I kid you not). And what was up with those horrifying huge puffs of fabric at the shoulders during the Renaissance/Queen Elizabeth's time? Or, you know, like half of 1980s fashion (ew)?
    When everyone dresses a certain way or if everyone uses the same makeup or lack thereof, some stand out as more attractive than others. Also, women are not (in general) ugly without makeup, at least not in my opinion.

• without make up i looked cute :)

• Umm i know a lot of girls who are pretty without it

• Hahaha I really like the comment of the anonymous girl over there... xD

• Pft. Beats me! I guess that's why before Maybelline my dad would have had to pay a dowry.

• Makeup has been around for several thousand years haha the firs makeup was charcoal and dyed clay. Perfume was basically scented oil that was used in place of water since it was a precious resource in the desert.

But anyway, back in the day, it didn't matter how you looked, you fucked anyway to continue the survival of the human race, especially after the Bubonic Plague wiped out more than half the human race.

P. S. Sorry you think we look ugly. We can't help our facial structure you jerk! >:(

• This is why you're probably going to be alone forever😂

• Well obviously, I wouldn't make being along, because as I said girls look gross without makeup. I wish they didn't need makeup to look good.

• Who said you have to listen to me? Who said you even had to read this question?

• Before make up, we would put paper bags over our heads and hope that the guys were attracted to our personalities...

• Well if there was no make up invented then there wasn't really anything that the guy would look for more in a girl back then. They didn't have makeup so everything had to be natural and not wearing make up a lot makes you have better skin anyways so thats why they didn't care.

• Because men are desperate for sex

• This is true. I for one wouldn't stick my penis inside something I wouldn't like looking at, but that's just me.

• Why don't you find a good looking guy, bend him over and make sweet love to each other, or are you too ugly to get a good looking guy?

• I told you I'm not gay. You must be more high than I thought

• in the same way as guys got gfs and wives when they were unemployed

• So, you're basically not attracted to women but to makeup. I learn of a new fetish every day.

• This made me laugh, thanks.

• Girls only look "gross" without make up if you're used to them wearing it.

And I get attention despite never wearing it, so.

And forms of makeup have been around since ancient times

• your not the same guy who asked that stupid question about herding woman like sheep are you?

• Like everything else, beauty is relative.

• Well there IS a such thing as natural beauty... & there are plenty of men out there that can appreciate it. Ever thought that maybe you're just extremely shallow?

• No worries, I am sure girls will have no problem staying away from you :) At least you'll stay away from me, since I wear make-up rarely. YAY :D

• Don't you understand? I WANT girls to stay away from me. I don't want these monsters coming anywhere near me.

• Lets hope you right

• You can't possibly say we look gross. Some look faded or a bit tired, but it's not that bad. I wear no make-up in my photo and I wouldn't say I look gross. Lol
      And even celebrities look different without make-up. You're reffering to them too?

• First of all you are an idiot.
    Second of all the families decided who their son/daughter was going to take.

• Well damn... a great body would be my guess though.

• Arranged marriages..

• Men are desperate, even ugly ones get attention!!

• lol. what does men being desperate have to do with ugly men getting attention? if they got attention, then why would they be desperate?

• ever heard of something called contradicting yourself?

• Breathe in and out, now think. When she said ones she was referring to women, otherwise her claim would make no sense. The pronoun agreement is off, but such is a common gramatical error.

Please take your keyboard firmly between your hands before shoving it up your ass, so as to prevent serious injury.

• Wow you're a jackass

It's not wonder you're single

• No, the reason I'm single is because I know what women look like without makeup.

• Depending on the culture, makeup has been around for a lot longer than we think. The ancient Egyptians wore kohl eyeliner for thousands of years, both men and women.

• There was make up back in the day but people was also smellier and had bad oral hygiene because of lack of the resources we have today so you wouldn't have cared you would have been accustomed to it.

• Haven't you heard of heterosexuals?

• Well being we're the same species its no surprise that we look alike.

• hahaha asker has lots to mature.

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 22

• Not to worry, I'm sure you'll be spared the pains of female companionship.

• Stop insulting our gender! All women are beautiful no matter how little makeup they have! Personally, I think women look best without any!

• Us guys are no better. Lol. Although I agree being handsome is more difficult than being pretty as we have no aid from make-up.

But the beauty in the female species is being themselves. Whatever they look like, they are beautiful. Demure and graceful, they add colour to life and accentuate the beauty of gaia. Most men are egoistic which is pretty yucks.

• Do you know what beauty is? Beauty is how appealing something is to they eye. How can girls be beautiful whatever they look like? That goes against the deifinition of something being beautfiul,

• Two realms of beauty, physical and spiritual. Then again, beauty is subjective, just because you don't find women beautiful without makeup doesn't mean other guys don't. That is how they find their respective husbands and boyfriends, because there are so many more men out there who find them attractive.

• They look "gross" to you because you're used to photoshopped models. Numerous females look pretty damn hot even without paint on their face.

REALITY CHECK: Real living human beings aren't photoshopped, and that's perfectly okay.

• Not sure if trolling or stupid

• They see you trollin', they hatin'.

blogs.longwood.edu/.../...ersonal_trollface_hd.png

• if you really think women look gross without make then it’s the paste they put on their face that you find attractive. Women in general look much better without their make up so to answer your question, it’s easy…they just simply didn’t have insecurities that exist today. Make up less women is all men had back in those days and ill assure you, they looked much better natural than having clown faces.

• You're an idiot if you think women look better without makeup. Either that or you're lyng to yourself so that women will find you endearing. I'm at least man enough to speak the truth. And I have no idea what this 'clown faces' you're refering to is. Please don't say weird things like that and assume I know what you're talking about.

• Seems as if you created yourself a narrow mind. Go ahead and continue viewing internet women because that’s the only way you’re gonna get what you want. Believe me, no one is going to want a boyfriend, let alone a husband that thinks her woman looks ugly without paste. Save yourself some time and humiliation by not replying back to any of these opinions. Everyone here thinks you’re a fool. I’m done here.

• Dont you understand? I dont WANT a women who looks ugly without 'paste'. And I can't save myself humiliation if I've never been humiliated in the first place. Lol I've made such a joke out of you that you can't even think coherently.

• 3|1
    • I most definitely am.

• Well besides the fact one is woman and the other is male -sex. Who doesn't want that?

• A little secrete called natural beauty and being a gentlemen, something most men today don't know about. For me the less makeup the better, I want a woman not a clown.

• 'For me the less makeup the better, I want a woman not a clown. ' You can't expect me to take you seriously if you say idiotic things like that.

• I'm actually being serious, some women actually wear too much makeup to where they look like a clown or their getting ready for Halloween. To much makeup hides their natural beauty while a little makeup enhances their natural beauty.

• Well I'm obviously not refering to women who too much makeup or don't apply it properly. That's an extreme case. What about my question would make you think I'm talking about extreme cases?

• Here's an exercise, just go look at a mirror for a minute. When you're done, come back and think until you realize that you're a shitty human being. Now go back to the mirror and shove it up your ass.

• I guess back then there was a lower standard of attractiveness since nobody knew what women looked like with makeup. Even today when men don't have much luck with attractive women they eventually lower their standards and settle for the next best thing, back then it was probably more common.

• Because we're animals, and are genetically designed to ensure the survival of our species.

• real men dont want women with make up

• Just proves how much men want sex! Looks don't matter much when you need to get it in.

• Looks do actually matter even if all you care about is sex. I mean, how is the girl supposed to get you hard if she isn't attractive?

• Without makeup, people just get used to the new standard of hot. A lower standard.

• Women weren't as ugly back then.

• Troll question

• Didn't Cleopatra have makeup? Anyway before makeup people were probably cavemen and cavewomen. The standards were so low, I bet the Sexiest Cavewoman Alive looked like Lizzie Velasquez

• they are wearing beetroot as lipstick and some black stuff as mascara , make up didn't exist only when we were cavemen, when we are cave men we are not much smarter than apes

• Their fathers usually chose their groom and married them off. Never read a history book before, huh? lol

• Actually, I did hear something like that before.

• Well yeah, you act like the dating culture of today is how things have always been. This isn't the case.

• Have you looked at old photos. Not the prettiest bunch. Some studies have shown that in parts of the world were survival is tough, looks play very little in the decision to marry. That's a first world notion. As life became less hard, the hearty rough traits that would insure a good breed of children fell by the way side.

• Lmao, holy shit.. that's pretty harsh bro lol.