Are "women" (views, sexuality, tips, advice, turn ons, signs, behaviour) universal? does culture matter?

Hi ya'll

I was just wondering whether or not all the so called "tips" and advice we get for guys are universally applicable or do they only apply for the "west"

I hate using that expression, but in asia that's all we here about, "the west this" and the "the west" that. I'm a caucasian who is living somewhere in asia and am extremely "endangered". Anyway, instead of "west" I prefer to be more specific by saying "Western liberalist capitalist bloc" which includes countries like USA, UK, Italy, Australia, France, Germany, Netherlands. Nothing east of Germany, period.

Like when we young men sometimes ask for advice regarding women like; "what are the signs she likes me" or "what does she mean when she does this" etc, we get advice and answers right?

So here is my question:

I am just wondering if all the answers we find online or on this site are predominantly from people from the western-capitalist-liberal bloc? And hence the advice is inapplicable for women we meet in asia? Since they are well.. different.

So if I just wonder whether or not the signs a normal Human woman would make to show interest in a guy are applicable to an Asian woman?

Sorry to sound so biological.

Do you guys understand what I am saying?

I.e. Asian women don't express themselves and are all into money and power, rather than fun, good looks and romance.

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to connect meet women in asia where I work, compared to when I'm home in Australia, or when I travel to the UK or America, whereby I literally get lots of dates every week and women are so into me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Short answer: everything you know is wrong.

Your instinct--that norms for dating vary across cultures--is completely accurate. It's not only different between the West and Asia, but between countries in the West, and communities within countries in the West.

With an Asian women, I've found, one can spend a shocking (to a Westerner) amount of time an energy gaining not only her acceptance, but than that of her friends, and then that of her family, even if she is "Westernized".

My instincts, if I woke up in Asia tomorrow would be these: Forget everything I know--I'm in junior high again. Speedily make friends and allies. LEARN THE LANGUAGE. Learn how, when, and who women date. Find any social situation where men and women can talk without money changing hands.

An alert, charming, friendly person is welcome the world over. If some girl's father doesn't shoot you, you'll be fine.

• Rofl.

I do know the language and their lingo and how they do things. I am just not sure whether the common signs/signals of attraction (which we KNOW about in Australia or in the Western Liberal world) are applicable to Asians. That is the part that has me stumped.

Lol, haven't been shot yet.

• My experience is that some things work everywhere (friendly, charming, confident beats mean, sulky and insecure across mankind) while some things are local (American girls generally like funny guys; while a lot of Eastern European girls think them simpleminded.)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

• I will quote him only for the purposes of this comment; Sam Huntington still classified Europe and America as part of the same civilizational category, which puts it totally apart from Asia or anything Asian-based.

I guess the issue is; are common 'western-anglo" signs applicable to asians (i.e. gazing at each other)

Coz I get the feeling; with asians in romance; its like us in junior school; where the more a girl acts like she hates u, she likes u. Yes means no etc that sort of thing.

What Girls Said 3

• Hi there,

I am in this site hoping that one day I would get a better understanding of western guys. I am an asian girl. Born and raised in Southeast Asia now living here in the US for work and school. I am also looking to meet and date and connect with western (american or irish) man but I just don't know how.

I am just wondering if all the answers we find online or on this site are predominantly from people from the western-capitalist-liberal bloc? <-------Nope because I am here I but I read answers more than I write answers.

And hence the advice is inapplicable for women we meet in asia? Since they are well.. different. <------- I don't think so it is applicable for asian maybe only 20-30% of advices.

I.e. Asian women don't express themselves and are all into money and power, rather than fun, good looks and romance. < ------- Maybe you can expalin further how did you say this, because the way I see it, western girls are more materialistic they like expensive bags and cars.

• Chinese girls I speak to talk more about money, earning ability and power when asked about guys they like. Whereas my western women friends talk more about romance as an important factor. Hence how I concluded that. Maybe YOU are different since you have moved to the US (western country).

• I think it's rare to find advice that's universal to all women in one culture, let alone all women period. Things like views, sexuality, turn-ons, etc. depend on the individual. A person's culture might play a role, but you can't get a piece of advice that works for everyone.

• definitely not universal

every girl is different

what is the most wonderful thing in the world to one girl

will send another one running

• Ha ha then what is the point of these romance-tips sites. They should have a stamp that reads

"Applicable only if you are in Australia or America or non Asian OECD Country" ha ha

What Guys Said 1

• Great question!1! If you are on the site you will realize it's dominated by United States teenagers and they have zero respect or understanding for any other culture than the dominant media Anglo fruitball one. Just for example, my posts criticial of drugggie boy love media hero Michael Jackson were all removed.

My wife, a Venezuelan, left in disgust after being told she was 'inappropriate' by a feeb. Another cousin, an Asian, was removed from the site, accused ob having a duplicate account, because she agreed with me on that exchange!

I have trouble just being italian and Irish!

Hang in there, though. You're not alone.!