If your partner is considered more attractive do you feel intimidated/insecure?

If your partner is seen as much better looking than you do you feel insecure and worry they may cheat on you?

Speaking from experience, part of the reason my ex broke up with me was because he was seriously insecure about his appearance. He constantly asked me if I was still attracted to him etc

Although I never considered myself to be more attractive the topic did get brought up on a weekly basis. Some people in his social circle had made comments to him about the difference in appearance.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am very good looking, as they tell me, and finding good women has never been a problem, thank goodness. Of course, looks play a big part, but I do not rate beauty solely on looks but on an ability to comport oneself well in any social situation, to engage in interesting conversation, and on equanimity and an upbeat mood.

However, one girlfriend in the past nearly wrecked this overblown self-esteem and gave me a lesson in counter-snobbery. She had an academic doctorate, which I esteem and envy, but everywhere we went she met old male friends who held academic rank equal to hers; I often stood by while she ignored me, without an introduction, and carried on sometimes lengthy conversations. I could not relate to her friends, who seemed distant, unapproachable, and annoyingly hyperlogical. This lady was in charge of her life as well as me, it soon became clear, and I served only as a sort of trophy guy for her. My awareness of my inferior social rank grew along with my insecurity. I gradually drifted away from her with new girlfriends on the sly, and my self-worth flowered once more after I moved out of her apartment. I recovered an identity that is uniquely mine and will never again seek my self-worth through a high-status partner.

What Guys Said 1

• Never had that problem and who cares what other people think.

What Girls Said 3

• my boyfriend is better looking than me, he's really in shape and i'm overweight (but working on it) i'm insecure about it, sure, and i think it's possible if he finds someone he connects with as well as he does with me and she's more attractive, he may leave me for her. but he likes me, and he's always making comments about me being the only girl that gets him. so... idk. but i do worry about him secretly wishing i was prettier.

• It's a common occurrence, and I would probably feel really insecure with any guy at all considering my extremely low self esteem. I would probably be more worried about what he thinks of me though, rather than what others think of us as a couple.

• I would feel both, but an attractive guy wouldn't be attracted to me. So, I don't have to worry about this.