A good formula for how much older and younger a guy should date?

What's a good math formula for a guy to loosely follow that would provide some good basic guidelines for how much older and younger he should date, if he's looking for something more than a one night stand?

I'm not completely against rolling the dice and dating with a big age gap (even if for short time) if temptation is great enough... but there are younger women who are attractive enough to date, but could likely prove to be pains in the ass in the long run. And older women might look hot, but in time their age will show, not to mention friends and family could get creeped out if you take a girl who's much older home.

Most Helpful Girl

• Formula? a formula can't dictate that, surely you have read An Abundance of Katherines by John Green? one of the guys was a total math nerd in it and he tried to write a complicated formula about dating because he kept dating girls called Katherine but eventually he figured out that he wasted a whole bunch of time going things over and over in his mind when in actual truth you just like who you like and you can't control every aspect of your life all the time 24/7, in fact you can't at all because shit just happens, you make plans and they fall through very very often, you do go out and can never predict who your going to meet or what is going to happen ever lol. With dating though and dealing with people it just takes common sense, you don't seem keen on dating girls younger than you or women older than you and your completely using common sense just by coming up with the conclusions you have about both of them (which i concour with but about guys), indeed dating older men or a guy younger than me is going to have it's problems so i suggeest taking a girl your own age or 3 years older. I've thought about going for guys up to 6 years older but... chances are he will probably want to settle down but i'm not ready for that yet.

What Girls Said 7

• Always funny when people try to create universally applicable rules for things that are highly dependend on individuals and circumstances. And by funny I mean pointless.

Dating is no natural science. It's psychology and philosphy. Both are part pattern recognition and part individualism. But you can't get around the individualism part. No mathematical formula will ever be of any use to in that regard.

• I wouldn't date any younger currently because Im 18 but if I was 25 I would date 4 years younger. And about 4-5 years older guy too. I think 10 years or bigger age gap is way too much

• It doesn't matter as long as you click with them. If you really care about them age wouldn't matter.

• At most 5 years both ways.

• Actually on average, guys marry girls who are 5 years younger. Since 5 years is average, that means there are plenty of guys dating and marrying more than 5 years younger.

• Personally how old or young id date depends on my current age at that time. But I didn't know that was the average.

• Don't data a girl who is old enough to be your mom's age or young enough to be your child's age.

• Just date whoever you click with.

• I don't know about older, but I have a formula for younger: Take your age. Divide by 2. Add 7. That's the youngest you should date, according to my friend.

What Guys Said 2

• Don't you dare listen to all this crap other people are shouting about "clicking" and there being no equation. They are wrong and I'm going to hook you up! :3

X is greater than or equal to Y divided by two plus seven.

There's your equation straight out the BroCode! X is the girl's age and Y is yours, I hope you can do the math.

• P. S. Switch your age and the girl's age if she's older, so you're X and she's Y.

• I don't worry about age (within reason obviously) I've dated 12 years younger and 3 years older. You just have to change up your game slightly. I've dated 18 yr olds at 30 and a 35 yr old at 31. I look at the person. Age doesn't always mean a person that age at maturity. The 18 yr old was one of the most mature girls I've dated. I actually started dating her at 17 when I was 29. She was the best relationship I ever had. She was smart, mature, understanding, everything a guy could ever want. If it wasn't for a scholarship to a school across the country, we would still be together. Oh, we never had sex either, still best relationship ever.