I'm African-American, and I love white guys... my parents? not so much?

I recently turned 18 and I'm about to start my freshmen year in college. And although I've always wanted to date since I entered high school (I only dated 1 person though...), the urge to not only make friends, but to date is really starting to kick in, especially since I'm going to college. But I love white guys ( but I'm open to all races, I just lean more towards white guys, but lets be honest, color doesn't matter if he treats me right), but my parents are completely against it. I've tried multiple times to bring up the situation, and "what if" scenarios, but my parents won't have it. I know I'm 18 and such, but my parents are quite old fashion in some ways, and since I'm commuting from home, I'm still under their rules. And they want to meet whoever takes me out on date for approval, but I know they won't approve of anyone who doesn't LOOK black (even if they are). I can't help who I'm attracted to, and I wouldn't be surprised if one day I were to marry a white guy. And apparently everyone but my parents and immediate family sees me being with a white guy. And I'm not ashamed of it, but my parents just won't have it... any advice on trying to help them see past skin color? Or at least trying to convince them to let me date, whoever I see fit?

Most Helpful Guy

• rules are made to be broken. break the rules not the law, when parents impose rules on you that don't involve your integrity, honesty, and obligations you need to push these rules until they break.

What Guys Said 3

• I think they'll adjust to it when they meet him in person. It's a dislike of the unknown, if he's a genuine nice guy that they gain a liking for, i'm sure they'll adjust. It just needs time.

Go for what you like :)

• Alright, I'll try that when the time comes :-) Thank you!

• Once they meet the guy, they may become more accepting.

• That does seem like a complicated situation you are in. It's your life, and you should live it the way you want to. And if your parents truly love you, then they will accept it. You should do what's right for you, not everyone else. My dad's maternal grandmother was a full-blooded Crow, and some of my mother's family weren't too thrilled. But most didn't have a problem with it.

• That's true, thank you so much! I guess we all have to make a decision to be happy at some point :)

What Girls Said 0