Anyone read the book "he's just not that into you?" How true is this?

In the book, the author says that if a guy wants you he will do everything he can to make it happen. Is this always the case? Are there ever exceptions to the rule? Is the excuse "just got out of a relationship" or "he's shy" or "he's got a lot going on his life" ever actually valid or is it always the same rule; if he likes you, he will let you know?

Most Helpful Guy

• "if a guy wants you he will do everything he can to make it happen"

It's kind of a trick question. What does "everything he can" mean? The implication is that somehow he'll make it work. The implication is that if he does NOT make it work then it means he doesn't really want her. That's not even close to being true.

Why does GaG exist? Why do guys ask questions about how to get a girl? Why do they ask what they are doing wrong? Why do they ask all the other relationship questions? It's because they don't know how. Whatever they've been doing isn't working. If it was as simple as the author implies there would be no need for them to come on GaG and ask questions.

Again, what does "everything he can" mean? You can say to a super shy guy "just go ask her out". Simple, right? He has a mouth. He knows how to speak. He is capable of forming the words. But "can" he? Can he get past his extreme shyness and ask her out? A psychological barrier can be just as strong as being a true mute.

I'm not sure what the larger context of the author's statement is. But the bottom line is that just because a guy hasn't done it does NOT mean he doesn't want to. Not even close.

What Guys Said 1

• The problem with the excuses you listed is that they may be "legit". But at the end of the day, he isn't going out with you - so the end result is the same.

What Girls Said 5

• I have no idea if it's true but it's -to an extent- become my fall back. If he liked me, he would text me back and not always blow me off. If he liked me, he would ask to hang out and not always make me ask. If he liked me he would find a way to make the coffee date work, not just cancel. If he likes you, he will find a way to interact. Even if he's shy or just out of a relationship. Just how I work, not saying it applies to all.

• i saw the movie... and while i don't think it's always the case... i feel like sometimes, if the girl is "worth it," guys -will- break out of their comfort zones and make a move. Like the bradley cooper/ scarjo relationship. He left his home and marriage for her. because to him, she was worth it. though honestly, i think it was more about lust than anything else, contrary to whatever the character claimed.

• Yes. I am now a believer he will go out of his way for you if he really sees something he likes/ loves. You can trust me on that. If he doesn't do exactly what I described than maybe he really is just not that into you.

• I saw the movie. It's not always the case.

• It's mostly true and if you're the exception, I think you figure it out. Most people aren't the exception.