When dating are there specific cultures (if any) that you try to avoid?

I had a conversation with a few friends about this and they actually had particular cultures that they generally didn't have a particular liking to. Whether this is ignorant or not isn't the case.

But would you say you avoid people of certain cultures when dating, if so why?

Disclaimer - This question is in NO WAY trying to promote racism but rather an understanding about whether this is a common issue when dating. You can now put the guns away.

• Yeah I have a few in mind that I tend to avoid
  • Nah I'm pretty much open to everything, don't really care to be honest

Most Helpful Guy

• Most definitely. If she's part of the party/club/bar culture, it's over before it started.

• Amen to that! I couldn't agree more. But I guess with this it depends on the person. Some are still at that "YOLO" stage (which is kinda silly cos you live everyday but yeah) and are really into being in the moment. "As for me and my house" we'll be at home enjoying the company of the loved ones lol.

• You're welcome

• Same ;)

What Guys Said 3

• Nah i'd happily date outside my own culture... i'd still have to be attracted on some level but we don't have to have a cultural connection.

• That's cool! 'Cause I think dating another culture can also give you the chance to learn about where yr significant other is from. Its basically a great learning experience.

• Girls from India I guess. Because it would be VERY big culture gap when meeting her parents etc. If they'd be traditional and so on, I would have a difficult time communicating with them/having them accept my decisions&views. And I guess I'm not attracted to indian women too.

• I personally tend to avoid redneck and more conservative cultures. Not because i don't think they're good people, I have nothing against them. I just don't mix well with them.

• That's understandable. People are generally more attracted to what appears to be more approachable. So if you're sat in a corner acting "holier than thou" most people won't want to mix with you. So, that makes sense to an extent.

What Girls Said 5

• i have an issue with this growing undercurrent of American black men who feel like they should be able to have 348934 side bitches but the "main" should be loyal and long suffering. then after 10 years of putting up with all his shit, he just might give her a ring. or the ones who think that inviting u over to their house is an acceptable first date

• Lol, it's sad that there are men like that. But what can you do?
      I think it's important to surround yourself with what you want. For example, if you want a specific kind of man place yourself where those kind of men will be. And watch out from the beginning. 'Cause usually guys like that show signs which can act as red flags straight away. Don't overlook anything.

Those are my words of wisdom to you. You can't change anyone so you need to be with people who are ALREADY what you want. At least that's what I think.

• I'm not sure... i've never really dated

but people's values stem largely from their cultures... if i love the person... then i'll probably be able to tolerate their cultural influences
    ... and if their cultural influences are dramatically different than what defines them... they're probably also secure enough to accept that i'm not a fan of their culture either.

this is all assuming i can't stand their culture... and 99% of the time i'm fairly tolerant--if not fascinated.
    unless it encroaches on how i interact with him... i don't wanna have to mask my love (or be objectified) for the sake of anyone... because it just goes downhill from there if it ever goes beyond dating.

• A lot in the Lebanese culture at least from what I've seen are not allowed to date until they are completely done college/university.

• That's actually very common among many cultures. Particularly Asian countries. I think in a lot of ways it's good but some might say that "you miss out on the experience".

• Clubbing and partying culture is no no

• Yes. I wouldn't date someone who's German, Russian or Muslim.
    I never liked Germans and I'm sure that I will never like. I think Russians are racist and I wouldn't date a Muslim because of their restrictions.

• I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion

• That's okay. I understand.
      I think I have the right to avoid certain people just like they would avoid me.
      These people wouldn't like me and I wouldn't be welcome in their countries and their families.