Scared of long distance relationship?

So after a year of being in a very abusive relationship I finally met a guy who treated me with respect and after a few months of dating, we fell in love. We planned to move into my apartment together but he got a job opportunity and now he is unable to move in with me. My apartment is located in North Florida while he has to stay in South Florida for the job.
He is very sad about this but I am optimistic about it. I respect what he wants to do and want him to succeed in his career. I told him I would move back down to South Florida in a few months.
However, he's acting strange. He ignored me for two days because he said he doesn't want to "be attached to me" If i'm leaving soon and is crying about it. He even considered turning down the job to be with me. But I'm forcing him to follow his dreams. He said he's willing to do a long distance relationship but is scared I'm going to leave him for someone else. He doesn't text me like he used to and won't call me anymore. This has taken a toll on my emotions and I'm trying to stay strong for him.
I am committed to this man and do not see myself with anyone else.
So why is he acting this way? How can I reassure him that I'm going to be there for him through thick and thin and that he shouldn't be so sad? He's been depressed and avoiding contact with me.
I have been in a long distance relationship before and it didn't work out. However, if this relationship didn't work out I would be devastated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I will respect all responses.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Yes and you should be scared, long distant relationships renders couples impossible to be together. Not only you will lose a good relationship, you will be sad for a long time, probably guilty from all the affairs you have and paranoid from the ones he has. I have been in a 4 year distant relationship about 5 years ago, it's f*cking ridiculous. I am not saying this will definitely happen to you too, but it'll probably happen to you, after all there are "some" successful long distance relationships.