Awkward age gap? I am 18, and she is 15?

Hi, I am 18 while this girl I like is 15, nearly 16. It seems awkward I guess because I am starting college and she will only be in grade 10. It's not an issue of age of consent or anything. We know each other from church, and sex wouldn't be a factor. I am going to school somewhat nearby, so a long relationship seems possible to me. I guess I want to know if she would think it was creepy if I asked her out. I really want to, and if I don't I likely won't see her after school begins.
Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

• ask her out
  • no, that is creepy
Thanks everyone for your advice, insight, and warnings. I am gonna ask her out, and see what happens. Its now or never. Maybe soon or never. Cool.

Most Helpful Girl

• I see no issue with it, it's only a two year age gap. Girls often find themselves attracted to guys a few years older I know I am. There's no harm in asking her out, especially if the ages of consent are all good. The only thing is you may have a super busy life and change a bit in college but you never know. I think it's worth it :D Good luck!

What Girls Said 7

• No I don't think it would be. When I was 15, my boyfriend was 19. It wasn't really more than a summer fling because he went to college elsewhere, but anyways, no one though it was creepy. 3 years isn't much. You find though that you grow more mature in the first few years of college and well she won't get there until later. So maybe at some point, you'll find you don't fit together as well anymore. But well especially if you have common interest and values, as you seem to do, I don't think 3 years is too much

• That would have been illegal here. Age of consent in my state, is 16

• well we didn't have sex, which the asker clearly said wasn't an issue there either. That aside there is something called the romeo and juliet law in my state, as in many others, which covers a 4 year age difference

• Honestly there is no issue. Especially if it is only a 2 to 3 year age gap. Girls do tend to like older and more mature men. I have regularly liked older guys. In fact my boyfriend right now is a college junior (20) and I'm a high school senior (17). So for my case there is a slightly larger gap. I think in general for high school-college relationships a reasonable gap would be no more than 4 years. It's all subjective. It's interesting though that once you get past your schooling age, the age gap doesn't exactly matter as much as before. You can have age gaps up to 12 years and people won't bat an eye.

With all of this being said if you are asking her out, be sure that you will be able to put in time for the relationship with her. You don't have to meet up every day but at least once every 2 weeks and stay in contact. Because you should be sure that both of you can handle the "long distance" aspect. You will really have to try and put in effort if you go forth. Sorry not meaning to be discouraging but advising. Other than that, if it seems to you that you got a good chance then go ahead and ask away! I wish you the best of luck. :)

• Age difference?
    This is the biggest that it will seem at this point because you both are at very different places in life.
    When you're 23 and she is 20/21.
    No one will hardly notice or see the difference.
    You both are practically the same age.
    So much so, that it's not impossible for you to relate to her.

• Too big age gap. Not to memtion you are going to college and you will propably mature a bit so yoy won't fit.

And its a bit creepy

• 2 years being "too big age gap" while people are like "oh you are 21 dating a 38 year old and it is true love"? Rofl the hypocrisy.

• Why must you fight on my question? This is not even related. Take it outside. Thanks for the original input.

• Actually the "fight" is related to your question so :/

• I don't see this as an issue, when I was 15 I was seeing a 17 year old and it was neither awkward or considered creepy. It's not a big age gap, my friend's sister was dating a 22 year old when she was 16 so it could be worse! :)

• I dont see the problem, unless in comparison you make her look younger. like if you stand next to her she suddenly looks 12, thats a bad sign.

• No. We look about the same age. People have actually told us we would make a really cute couple.

• Did you end up asking her out!!! What happened?

What Guys Said 6

• Well the greatest question is whether she is interested mutually or not. Only you can really predict that. If you think you have a chance, you should go for it. 2 years aren't the end of the world, she just has to think of you in a similar fashion.

• Creepy maybe from an American standpoint, I do not see a problem.

Either it will work out or not, but trying to make is so is always ok.

• I was 19 and she was 16,,,, my heart was ripped away because she was not ready for anything steady and I was fully in love. She broke up with me, she had family problems, she moved to her uncles, she got pregnant with a 3rd cousin, she married him, later she confided to me she had made a mistake and should have stay with me. I waited in silence for 15 years in hoping she would divorce, but it never happened, I moved away from the small town we live in cause I could not take being in the same town. Over the years we have seen each other in public, we look at each other, we both tear up and then go our separate ways.

• Oh, that's a knee slapper that one.

• It's not a big age gap, ask her out

• Can't do any harm asking. Most relationships were one goes off to college and one is still in high school don't work out. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun. Relationships take practice. You learn how to be a boyfriend from each one. So by the time you find the right one, you know how to be a boyfriend. Think of it as a learning experience and ask her out.