Am I not fun because I don't drink a lot?

My bf thinks I am not fun because I don't like to drink a lot and gets angry when I am not in the mood to drink with him, especially when I have work the next morning. Should I have to drink just to put him in a better mood or should I tell him that he is being irrational?

Thank you everyone. It is a touchy subject, apparently, and is difficult to bring up the fact that he is not being fair because that just makes him more angry about the situation.
Oh... another thing I forgot to mention... we have been together for almost 5 years and this isn't the first time this "problem" came up soooo... I would just feel stupid for breaking up over something so ridiculous.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's important for couples to be able to enjoy recreational activities together.

Thing is, both partners need to be able to enjoy it.

If he gets mad that you're not much of a drinker then cut him loose, that's about as immature as a person can get. There are plenty of guys out there who would enjoy your companionship and respect that you're a light drinker.

Oddly enough, I don't drink at all and I think that has hampered my ability to get a great in the past.

What Guys Said 7

• Fuck that. The only point of drinking is if you don't know how to have actual fun, or you don't have actual confidence and it acts as a sort of bravado.

I stopped getting drunk once I realised I was trying to socialise and not actually look like an idiot.

What's he afraid of? That he's going to look more of a moron if you're not drunk along side him? Or that he doesn't like you for who you are and the only way he's enjoying your company is if you're drunk along side him?

None of this makes any fucking sense. Time to go into battle stance. Whoop his ass. Get some knives. Fine dont stab him, but you get the point.

• You shouldn't be pressured into doing something that you don't want to do naturally, least of all by your boyfriend. I'd tell him to cut it out. If he really thinks you aren't fun because of such a reason, I'd suggest to him that he find a more fun girl to be with.

• I'm a lot of fun because I drink a lot. Um no. It just means people who drink a lot to have conversation are so boring that they worry that you being sober would make them awkward.

• Don't do that, don't drink to appease him. I find it fucking annoying when people that don't drink criticizes/put down those that do. Also, equally annoying is those that do drink do the opposite.

The point is he should respect the fact you don't want a drink. He needs to respect your boundaries.

• you dont need to drink to have a good time. just like you dont always need to drink protein shakes when you are weight training.

but i think your bf is being too damn harsh on you by expecting you to do something that your dont desire. i think you should address him on this and remind him that he needs to respect you on your choices

• If it takes being drunk to have a good time then that is a problem. And I bet you are a lot of fun sober! I'll drink too but I'm not pressuring anybody nor am I getting upset about them not drinking with me.

• When it comes to drinking, no because you don't drink a lot doesn't mean
    you're not a lot of fun. Alcohol can put a monkey on your back the size of
    King Kong.

What Girls Said 1

• You could try to explain your reasons calmly and clearly to him, and if he doesn't understand, then maybe you should look for someone else, because if he doesn't listen to you then you can do better! Don't feel pressured into having a drink if you don't want to. It's your life.
    Hope I helped x