I broke it off with my online boyfriend, did I make the wrong choice?

i still really love him, the only reason why I decided to end it was because he 'didn't know' if we were ever going to be able to meet. he got arrested a little while ago and he's 2,000 to 3,000 dollars in debt to the courts and his dad, and he doesn't have a job even though he's been searching high and low for one. but where he lives the unemployment rate is at its highest. he doesn't even have a cell phone to call me on. so I decided to break it off because I couldn't deal with not knowing if we would ever be together. I told him to IM me when he has good news, and he was scared that if he did I would be over him by then and he wouldn't matter anymore, but I assured him that he would always matter to me. so hopefully, when he has money and is able to contact me in ways that aren't just through the computer and we could finally meet he'll tell me. but I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I feel like I shouldn't have broke it off with him just because he doesn't have any money, its not like he doesn't want to be with me and meet me its just he cant. what do you guys think?

oh and we've been together for 2 years btw.
dhkfhsd he called me last night (:

all thoughts of him being a creepy pedophile are gone. (:

seriously I'm so happy right now. we talked for like 4 1/2 hours until like 730 in the morning.

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand how hard that can be. I always used to make fun of people who met people online until it happened to me. He went to high school with my roommate & we had many mutual friends, but I never met the guy in person. I was shocked when I realized that even though we had never met, hugged, kissed,etc. I really really liked him. Stronger than I had liked almost any guy before. So I understand your situation.

However, it's not the online part that's bad. He doesn't have a phone, or a job and he just got arrested. That would be enough to dump a guy that you do know in real life. Plus, the online thing can only go on for so long. You have to eventually meet the person. After about 4 months of talking with my guy, we realized it would be too hard in our current situations to make anything real come out of it. So we settled for friends. 2 years seems like an awfully long time to have never met the person.

I think you did the right thing for a multiple of reasons. If it's supposed to work out it will.

• I think the fact that I love him despite all of his faults (getting arrested, not having a job, etc.) really means something though.. he's perfect to me despite all of that.

thats exactly how I look at it though. if its meant to be, it will be.