Is it shallow to not want to date a woman who roots for a sports team you hate?

I love sports. I'm a diehard SF Giants fan. However, I would never want to date a woman who is a Los Angeles Dodgers fan. In fact, it's a dealbreaker. Does this make me shallow?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, not shallow at all. You like what you like. I would say if anything you are picky. It can be very annoying to listen a fan of a team you hate, I can totally see that. There are some very obnoxious sports fans out there. Plus, if you start dating her, then I am sure she has friends that are also fans of that same team and simply more annoying people to be around. Deal breaker for sure!

What Girls Said 13

• I'm a sports fanatic. I, personally, think it could make for some serious fun. It could also cause serious fights, which in all reality, at the end of the day, it's just a game. I think if this is the only reason you would prevent yourself from dating her, then yes, it's pretty shallow. Almost stupid. It's a game! At the end of the day, it should be your want/desire/need for her and vice versa. What shows up on the scoreboard has nothing to do with your personal life, unless you own the team. And I'm guessing you don't. So, that being said, you should probably look past this. And if you can't, then yeah, it's pretty shallow.

• I'm not looking past this. I want nothing to do with a Dodger fan.

• It wouldn't be great. I'd have no problem letting her go.

• So then why are you concerned if you're being shallow if you've already made your decision and you don't care? Lol

• Yes... its super stupid. But then again... I don't care about sports so I also would be taken out of your list.

What if you met the total girl of your dreams, a number 10 in your eyes, sweet personality, but you reject her just for not rooting for your team? lol

I mean it's just a sports team :\ lol Sorry if I'm being rude but its crazy

• If she hates my teams, I don't date her.

• I think it's petty. Me & my last ex bled for rival teams. We got along just fine... until game time haha. I forced him to be happy when my team won games (not against his team though) lol :)

• I actually think the rivalry would just be fun, that's a little childish but hey, you'd be helping any sensible woman dodge a bullet. So go for it.

• Narh its not shallow, everyone has their own kind of preference :)
    I play soccer and the guy i was with went for a team that i hate and he hated the team i went for, in the end it just became fun because its something you can have a competition about but yeah everyone has their different preference on that :)

• yes very - filler filler filer filler

• hahaha, used to be the same when i was younger, but nah I don't reckon it matters, just think when you're team beats theirs you get to pick on them heaps haha

• That's a hard one, My ex and i liked separate teams. Always made it for a fun night when they were playing each other. It never came between us so guess you really need to look at the bigger picture.

If you really like a girl you will overcome the fact that she backs another team.

• I can't overcome that. No matter how nice she is.

• Yep kinda does. If you're that picky you may never find anyone.

• I can live with that.

• I think it's kind of stupid but I don't really care.

• If that is the only deal breaker for you then "No", I don't think it is shallow.

• well yes it is :p but if you're a big fan i can understand :D

• slightly. i think its ridiculous. not everyone you come across is gonna like your teams. not only are you excluding potentially great matches for you, but you are losing out on some great sports bonding through friendly and romantic betting/rivalry. ultimately if thats a serious deal breaker for you, then maybe you are shallow and a little "off" personality wise that you are doing the girl a favor by not considering her. my honest opinion. open your mind and look beyond a sports team to the real heart/character/personality of the person.

• It's a dealbreaker. My mind will open on this issue.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm from Boston and my gf is from New York City, but for thanks to her grandfather from Mass, she likes Boston teams. Otherwise things could get real ugly around the house, haha. Of course football is my main sport, so I'd love a Jets fan gf to remind everyday how much her team sucks, hahaha. Dated a girl from Jersey in college, and her fam were all Jets fans, but she was indifferent. SO close...

• i dont think it makes you shallow it just tells me you take much pride in your sports. i dont see anything wrong with that if you never dated her yet. but lets say hypothetical situation you knew she wasn't a fan of your sport before going into dating and then you date and become a couple in a relationship and then you just drop the bomb on her and say you know what this isn't gonna work fuck your team then thats a dick move LOL. just a hypothetical situation though hahaha:D

• If she says she's a Dodgers fan, the relationship ends immediately. I want nothing to do with them.

• Haha I wouldn't say it's shallow, but it's pretty freaking retarded.
    Girlfriend liking a rival team makes those games that much more intense.

• Well, I don't like their fans.

• That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
      LA and SF fans are the exact same. Only difference is that they are in different places.

• I don't like them!

• tHAT IS WHAT i AM TALKING ABOUT!!!

• Just really retarded (no offense I guess)