When a girl calls you "bestfriend", is all hope lost?

My friend is in love with this girl, or so he says. They were hanging out yesterday and he told me that she kept calling him "bestfriend" more than once. I told him that it just means that she feels close to him and it doesn't really mean he's been friendzoned. My gf called me bestfriend in the beginning because she was shy about getting into a relationship, but now we're happy together. I know everyone's relationship is different, but still.

So the question is, if a girl you like calls you her "bestfriend" or "BFF", do you consider that friendzoned? Should he keep trying? I don't know what to tell him honestly.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes it means all hope is lost, in other situations it means like you said (she feels close to him and potentially something may be).
    Calling someone a best friend doesn't always guarantee the person will stay friend zoned.
    It all depends on whether or not a romantic interest exists.
    To know whether he should give up hope or not, he needs to take a leap.
    Either he confesses his feelings or ask her out on a date and see her response.

Just because it worked out for you... doesn't mean it will for him.
    Every girl is different.

What Girls Said 5

• If I call a guy my best friend it doesn't mean there's no hope. I consider all my ex boyfriends to have been my best friends at that time we dated. A relationship where the other person is your best friend too is the best kind of relationship imo. In fact, I always seek out a close friendship with the guy I'm interested in first and then progress to more. The entire foundation for the relationship just feels so much better.

• I think he should keep trying. Being labeled best friend is a good thing especially for the future as she'll prob want her dependable best friend as her partner.

• Exactly, that's how things went with my current gf and everything is working out great.

• I don't think you an consider this friendzoned as, to be honest, I've probably done that to a guy I like too. It'd be awkward to go "yeah, guy-I-have-a-crush-on" instead ;), she may have just done it without thinking :)

• Yeah that makes sense

• no you still have hope... keep trying it's not over dude

• Tell him to grab her boob and see how she reacts

• Ah, how could that possibly go wrong. Don't know how I didn't think of that. I'll be sure to tell him!!

What Guys Said 3

• It depends, usually girls call guys "bestfriend" to put them off from making a move! But she could also be calling him "bestfriend" to keeping him close, and get to know him better!

• pretty damn close to it

• A few possibilities
    1) Welcome to the friendzone, my friend.
    2) She is hiding her feelings for you