If a man is dealing with a major issue in his life, how does it affect his relationships?

I have heard that if a guy has a major issue in his life, he may withdraw from or end a relationship in order to entirely focus on solving the problem or completing the task. I have a guy friend, we used to date, that just bought a new condo and had to move. I haven't heard from him in a while. I wonder if this theory of men focusing on a task and leaving other things that used to be important to him aside, even temporarily, has any merit. I'm talking about things like moving, issues at work, or even getting over a past relationship. Can you address this theory, the scenarios I just listed, and any other thoughts about this? Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've just been offered a job in a city in my country. I have accepted it and it means I will be moving to a new house in the city.

It will happen that I will severe the majority of my ties here and start again. The reason is simple: putting all of your energy into living means there is little left over to travel back and forth to your old life. It also means that i'm less likely to feel regret or any emotional fallout from moving.

I'm not saying every man is like this, i'm also not saying i won't occasionally come back and see my family and friends some times but things will obviously never be as they once were. It will either peter out or halt abruptly. That's just me personally though.

• Thanks. Forgot to mention he is staying in the same town, which is about 10 minutes from me.

• Oh okay, well when a man is under a lot of stress we can cocoon. The best thing any woman has ever done for me was coming around and being in bed silently with me, no fooling around and very little talking, just cuddling, silky skin and a few comedy films for a few hours.

He might just be relieving stress in the best way he knows and will probably contact you when he is settled. That's usually what house warming parties are about, reconnecting with people that the busy period caused disconnects with ;)

What Guys Said 4

• If a guy truly wants to be with you, nothing, and I mean nothing will stop him. Everything and anything else is simply just and excuse.

• Yeah, issues would make some men, but not all men withdraw emotionally. I think your guy's like me, I tend to be revolted by affection when things are going bad.

• This is interesting. Why does affection revolt you if things are going bad? I don't think things are bad with my friend, I just think he is busy and very, very stressed.

• Stress is bad. If I am stressed out, I will shut down. Period.

• Well what you said sounds right. But man are problem solvers. Some like to think they are maybe he needs space to think things over. He may not want you to get in the line of fire if he had thinking to do. But maybe he's confused and just needs time alone

• It shouldn't as long as she is included in the decisions about the relationship

What Girls Said 2

• I've been in a situation like that. The guy had a lot to deal with, so I didn't hear from him for a long time. Basically, they focus on themselves to reach their goals during that time.

• Did he get back in touch with you? What reason did he give for his absence?

• After a while. Then, he did it again. He had "stuff" to deal with. I got tired of it.

• men are just full of it