Guy likes me and wants to date but I'm not ready to date or relationship... but I like him too?

I work in a sub shop and one of our regular customers asked me for my number. I didn't really want to give it to him but I did. I dont regret it since he's really sweet. Anyways he wants to go out but I am not ready. Im 20 going on 21 shortly and he's 26. He pretty much established and I am not. That is one of the main reasons why I am not ready to date. Another is me and my ex broke up a year ago. He was my high school sweetheart and so dating again is kind of awkward to me. Especially since this guy seems like he wants to jump right into a relationship already. I tend to fond it easier to date if we were friends first. But like I said, im 20 still living with parents, in college, no car yet =/ I was pretty close to getting one but I started helping out family financially and screwed myself over. I just want to get myself together first before I start dating but dont want him to think I dont like him. He's very persistent and I have come up with several excuses and lies to avoid talking to him more and hanging out and now I am out of excuses. I want to tell him the truth now but he probably will think its just another excuse... HELP =/ like I said I really do like this guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should def. go out and give it a go, at least one time, because you never know, if you don't you may miss out on the chance to just see what could happen? Life goes kind of crazy and fast, but you can't use things like school and no car as an excuse, just give it one date, and if things aren't what you'd like them to be, then tell it to him straight, I'm sure he'd appreciate at least having a chance you know? We all just want a chance and sometimes we need to.

What Guys Said 2

• You like the guy and it's been an entire year since you've been in a relationship. Give the guy a chance and go on a date with him, what do you have to lose? How established you are really doesn't matter, you're young so enjoy it.

• Tell him to give you space and if he can't do it slap that fool (im just kidding don't do that) But ask him for space and maybe you guys could try again if you like him to hangout sometime when your ready. But to keep him happy text him a lot until then if you choose to go that path.

What Girls Said 1

• Sure, why not give him chance? Even if you do not want to romantically get involved with anyone yet, be sure to make that clear to him that you want to be friends, well at least initially. You're only 20, I don't think he would expect you to be set in stone at that age, hell I am 23 and still have things to sort out. It's actually common don't let it hold you back.