Do women get turned off at what degree I'm studying?

When chatting with some girls on a dating webiste as soon as I mention my degree I am studying (engineering) they immediately stopped replying.

At first I thought it was just my imagination and I was being paranoid , so I tried speaking to real person at a bar and hey presto, as soon as I mention what I do, I see a look of either disintrest or boredom from a women face (not all but the majority)'

Does my degree in engineering turn off prospective dates as they fear I might be too boring or nerdy?

Do women really judge you on the basis of your chosen career?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly it might not be the fact that your major is engineering. It's very possible that the girls you're talking to don't exactly understand what an engineer does. My dad is an engineer so I understand. However, my friends don't seem to get it when I tell them what he does. I've had to explain many times what EXACTLY my dad does. Maybe the girls stop talking because they don't know much about the major and don't want to sound dumb trying to continue the conversation by asking what that is. Next time you tell a girl you're major, try adding what job you're aiming for with your degree and what exactly you'll be doing. Maybe then she'll have a chance to continue the conversation. If not you should ask what she plans she has for her future.

What Girls Said 7

• Some may. Why dont you do a test and say a different major to see if you get the same reactions both online and in person.

• I think engineering is really cool. If I met a guy studying it, i would be impressed actually, because I know its a hard subject and smart guys are attractive. Some women might see u as a nerd because of that, but you dont wanna be with someone that superficial and shallow anyway ;)

• I'm an engineering tech, only 2 years of college. The reaction I mostly get is engineers are stuck up know it alls. No idea it that's your problem but that's been my experience.

• Lol I'm not sure why that would happen. Maybe, like another user said, they don't understand what that is? Like a lot of guys don't completely understand when I tell them I major in Microbiology. Just get smarter girls I guess?

• I don't think engineering is a turnoff it may have been something else you said.

• Are you kidding? WOMAN LOVE ENGINEERS!!! Engineers make good money. The only way they'd reject an engineer is if they were corporate lawyers or surgeons. Maybe they think you are too good for them because you are studying engineering. Don't listen. Once you become an engineer you can pretty much have any girl you want.

• I think engineering is awesome, but some of the guys I've met in that field are kind of jerks. My latest long-term ex was an engineer and definitely fell into that category.

Maybe they're afraid you'll fit the stereotype of overbearing/arrogant/critical yet socially awkward guys that some engineers can be.

Show that you're easy going and fun to be around. Learn to laugh at yourself and to hold back on long winded monologues or correcting others, if you do so.

What Guys Said 5

• I used to work with an attractive gal whose goal in life was to become a teacher because she observed that engineers seemed to marry teachers (so presumably her real goal in life was to marry an engineer).

I don't think she ever became a teacher, though.

• Don't worry about it. Once you get your engineering degree and you're out on the tracks, driving that train. All this will become a distant memory

• Well a person's career does usually say a lot about them, but that's actually pretty surprising. Engineers are usually seen as a very attractive career, almost up there with Medical Doctors.

• I study math, but I don't introduce myself with that. I first show them how fun, smart and confident I am, then I might make a joke about my studies, and then they mostly are impressed and stuff. You just need to give them a feeling of attraction towards you, since some women might have prejudices about engineers.

• Ha, I've got a General Studies degree because I ran out of financial aid... so consider yourself lucky. I would think most women would be turned on by the amount of money you will be making.