Grown Men that live at home - is it becoming more acceptable?

Ok, so one of my girlfriends has been getting on well this guy for a while now. Last week she finds out the dude is STILL living at home despite being 34years old, but my question has a twist. When she found out his living arrangements, he said it wasn't with his Mother, it was with his Father like that makes a difference. So does it make a difference? I think he did actually move out at some stage, but then for whatever reason moved back later. He claims it's till he finishes studies but who knows how long that will take.

I don't know if updating will bump this question but there's one way to find out :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Society views parents differently:

If you're a 34-year-old guy living with your mom - you're a loser mama's boy.
    If you're a 34-year-old guy living with your dad - you'll most likely be viewed as a dude, who's going through some problems and a lot will assume you and your dad live like roommates, splitting rent etc, rather than the dad fully supporting him.

Living with your parents at 34 is a fail in my eyes, regardless which parent you're living with.

But obviously there are different circumstances that caused that to happen. Perhaps he was living fine on his own for over 10 years, then shit happened and he had nowhere else to go, so he's back with his parents for now.

As long as it's not a permanent/longterm arrangement, I think it's fine. But if he's there, because he never bothered to get a place of his own and it's just convenient to mooch off your mom and dad, then that guy can go sling his hook.

What Girls Said 5

• uh tbh i think anything after 30 is wayy too late to still b at home with mum and dad... but i mean some people just can't control these things. id say i wouldn't b too harsh about it given what the circumstances are.

• It entirely depends on the circumstances, my brother moved back into my parents house about 18 months ago. He felt they needed him about, so he moved back in and helped fix the house up, helped them with a few projects etc You can't judge not knowing the situation., as for learning, well, I wouldn't hold that against a guy - doing the sensible thing and saving money while getting himself an education to improve his life. Just because the person you live with happens to be your parent, doesn't mean you're living in the room you had as a kid, complete with Batman sheets and mom cooking your dinner.

• I mean... it's him and his dad, it's like a bachelor pad. better than with his mom. I think after 30 it's weird for people to live at home, but it's expensive if you don't have a significant other or a decent roommate, so I can understand. Weird but not unacceptable.

• I have less respect for people who still live at home after they graduate highschool. It just looks bad.

• Should be more acceptable since living alone is expensive

What Guys Said 2

• I don't give a damn what's acceptable. I'm going to do what I have to do, and I hope the other men feel that way too.

• i hate, despise, loathe this stigma with a huge passion

• ^ Mama's boy.

• @Asker

Still pretty fail to me. If he can pay the bills and take care of himself, why doesn't he just get a place of his own?

I can only see that as acceptable, if it's a temporary arrangement or if he's there to look after the parents, because they're old and sick.

• Agreed, unless maybe he's there to save for a place and it doesn't become a longterm arrangement.