How do I appear less threatening?

One of my biggest problems is that people don't usually come to talk to me because my appearance gives off a threatening vibe. I've had people avoid sitting next to me on the bus and even had a work colleague jump scarred one time when she didn't see me behind the door. I'm not ugly or anything it's just my demeanour.

I've been told that I always have a passive or too serious look on my face and that I never smile. Additionally they said my body posture also sends out a bad signal.

What should I do to improve my facial appearance/posture so as not to make people perceive me as being unapproachable? (I've tried smiling but it looks really fake and feels natural to me). Any tips or advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• Try not to be so "big" in public places - sounds weird, but what I mean is: guys tend to spread their legs out and take up a lot of space on the bus. How about try to keep your legs closer together and fit into the size of the seat.

If you fee like smiling is fake, maybe try listening to music you like, and it might help you smile more naturally? Or you could try reading a book on the bus - if you're looking at a book, that's less threatening than looking at people or staring into space.

What Girls Said 1

• posture, clothes and facial expression and the way you talk :p if you change that you can be who ever you want to be :p

What Guys Said 1

• Wear bright, nicely fitted attire, whether casual or professional. No matter the event, be traditionally well kept and groomed.