I feel really bad about hitting my boyfriend but all my friends are saying it was okay?

So last week my boyfriend and I were arguing and he kept yelling at me so I just slapped him across the face. Then he just stood there looking at me and his jaw was all clenched. I felt so bad I just started crying and he then just grabbed me and hugged me and I told him I was sorry and he apologized too.

Everything has been fine and we have both moved on. And he has been sweet as always and I just can't believe I did that. I feel literally so bad. I feel like how does he know I love him if I just hit him. I know that he would never in a million years hit me.

I told all my friends how I feel and they think it's silly what a big deal I'm making about it. They all say a guy can take it and that guys sometimes deserve it.

I just really feel bad and want to make it up to him.

In the south it is like so accepted, literally guys get hit all the time where I live. In North Carolina everyone has like hit a guy so I don't know if I should feel bad but I do.

Most Helpful Guy

• He obviously moved passed this. He forgave you the moment he reached out to hug you. You apologized he apologized that's a good thing. Violence in any form isn't good but now that its over I suggest you not dwell on it. I'm sure he knows you love him, and he loves you. I've been slapped like that before similar situation. Only I didn't reach out to hug her, I walked away. She ran up to try and hug me and I told her to stay away from and that I would talk to her later. Next day we talked and it was fine. As long as its not something that becomes a habit I think he forgave you, now forgive yourself and continue with your relationship.

What Guys Said 12

• You need new friends because they are idiots. It's never ok for a man OR a women to hit each other. You are lucky he has a big heart and forgave you. One of my deal breakers is if my gf ever hits me it's over because I don't hit women so I deserve that same respect.

The apology is probably all he needs because buying him stuff in my opinion makes it more degrading "here I slap the taste out your mouth but here is a new jacket".

• I know I feel awful but I don't know how to make it up to him. Do you actually think the apology was enough?

• Yes I do because it takes a lot love and respect for himself and for you and your relationship to not only retrain himself for not hitting you back but to forgive and move on. If anything when he makes mistakes or does something that is his fault you think about this and you don't nag him just let him go. I love getting a free pass when I screw up and you've used a big one already.

• it's not ok to hit a person no matter what, especially over a verbal argument. tell him you are sorry and make an effort to learn to control your emotions so you don't get to the point of hitting someone.

but it isn't ok to hit a person because you are having a verbal argument

• You're lucky he didn't strike you back or leave you, because he would've been justified in doing either.

Now what you need to do is just carry on like normal, be sweet, and never hit him again.

• I don't really see an issue with a "get it together" slap every once in a while. As long as it doesn't so any actual damage.

But then again, I'm from the South and live in North Carolina like you said. So maybe I'm not the best resource for opinions...

• Would it be okay if a guy gave a girl a "get it together" slap?
      Just wondering what your opinion is.

• No, that's wrong.

• Yeah, I have no idea what some of these guys are saying. It's never okay to hit a girl I don't care if she punched you. You never fucking hit her.

• I think all your girlfriends need to have the stupid literally smacked out of their heads. Sure, guys can take a slap across the face but does that mean that it's right?

• Guys dosent take the the slap from girlfriend much seriousely unless they feel insulted. It was just an incident and hope it have increased love between u both. Sometimes eating chilli increase the taste of food though it is bitter in taste.

• Put the shoe on the other foot, how would you feel if he slapped you and what would your friends say about him then?
    Physical violence is wrong from both sides in my opinion and you are lucky you have a boyfriend that cares about you, this is coming from a guy who has been hit by an ex by the way and not told anyone about it

• I know, I feel awful.

• I've been slapped by a lot of girls and I just move on just like your boyfriend did. It is not a big deal. I'm from North Carolina too and like you said every guy has been hit and is just taught to move on. Some girls don't even apologize so I think that was more than enough.

• "He can take it" It's like one of the most bullshit thing I heard here. It wasn't right to hit him, but at least you know that yourself. Don't do it again. I got a VERY useful trick for confrontations, because everyone always gets so emotional. Just take a step back and say you don't want to discuss it now, maybe later when he's calmed down. And make sure he gets it. A lot of people see then how silly they're acting, and calm down too. Maybe a little pissed, but give them some time and they should be fine.

• I'm from the south and I know that almost every guy has gotten the occasional slap from a girl. If a girl is hitting a guy for good reason I see no problem with it. If a girl just gives a slap to a guy it is no big deal.

• thats abuse you wouldn't want you're boyfriend to hit you so dont
    hit him

• your boyfriend is a loser for putting up with abuse. so i guess you get what you deserve: a loser boyfriend with no self esteem. karma works out

What Girls Said 3

• It's okay. You have both moved past this. You know he loves you and he knows you love him. It was an incident that happened in the past, and needs to stay in the past.

• Uh, no. You shouldn't hit your boyfriend ever. I don't care where you live or what the people around you have done. Don't bring violence into a relationship.

• Violence is never the answer, he forgave you for slapping him and you forgave him for yelling. Thing is, when in an argument yelling makes things worst. You two should learn how to calm down then talk out the situation so nothing is misinterpreted. Although slapping him shut him up, thats not the way to do it. You wouldn't like it if he slapped you right? Males and females are equal, okay people say guys shouldn't hit girls, but the same goes to us ladies. Control your hands, slapping people doesn't usually give you hugs and appologies!