Would you date a deaf person?

OK so I've been taking ASL in college just to communicate, and come to think of it, there's people who are deaf, and actually learn to speak, but can't hear, which i find really amazing, in their part. But would you guys date a deaf person?

In my part I wouldn't mind? You least expect something to grow right? But I think that it'd be fine to be in a relationship with deaf people. Don't comment hate towards deaf people, just a yes or no.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I would. I'm minoring in ASL, so communication wouldn't be an issue. I've interacted with many deaf people and they're all really awesome people!

• THANK YOU VERY MUCH! and their stories are actually inspiring aren't they?

• I've had 2 deaf professors and 2 hearing professors. It's interesting having the different perspectives and backgrounds. We have Deaf Awareness Week at my school and we have a huge deaf community in the town. So deaf panels are held and deaf people tell their stories and its amazing what these different people have to say.
      Yeah I hear the same horror stories. And I think its horrible how some parents won't learn sign for their deaf child and just force a cochlear implant in them. It's very shocking and sad.

• Same here! my subsitute teacher could speak, but not hear, and she amazed us all! They're interesting people, I know they only have a hearing problem, but really I would LOVE to communicate with them in sign language, only reason why I'm taking ASL rn lol. Same here too, about the deaf community, they go to a starbucks near my school and a bunch of us (students) want to go, Ik it's rude to stare so obviously we won't stare, but it's like an assignment our teacher is making us do, which I wouldn't mind to go see. They do have amazing stories to tell, and I don't mean like their horror stories of when they were little, but I have to admit they go through a lot more than what we do, some people don't have patience for them! Exactly! My sub told us that if a mother/father/both don't want their son/daughter to learn sign language to CONVINCE them to give them everything signing/speaking/writing bc they can become great at one thing or another or more! Whcih I agree!

What Guys Said 26

• Being deaf isn't a reason not to date someone. Sure it would be challenging but if she was hot and had a great personality then it would be worth it. I would date a deaf person based on the exact same reasons/principles that I would date a person that could hear. If she had a great personality and was hot then I would go for her. Having her teach me sign language would be quite an experience too.

With recent breakthroughs in technology 90% of cases of deafness will be curable/treatable by 2025. The man across the street from me was deaf and he heard for the first time a few weeks back. He's had an operation and wears a special aid that allows him to hear everything now. For this reason I 100% don't think deafness is a valid excuse to not want to date someone.

• for some people it is, but this was an excellent answer!

• I love that actually. I'd date anyone, black, white, green, deaf. It's all the same with me. If it works out, and you care about the person, love them unconditional love, then why not.

• "Green" eh? I've never dated an orc myself.

As for the deaf thing, sure, I'd date a deaf girl so long as I could understand their speech or sign language.

• Seriously... I never really understood why guys and girls put up these "standards" when choosing which people to date. I would agree to date a deaf girl as much as I'd agree to date a normal human being. She'd be more special anyways.

• Yes but it would be a challenge. I took two classes of ASL during college but forgot most of the language. I would need to take some ASL classes again so we can communicate with each other. I think as long as we can communicate with each other then I dont see any problem with dating a deaf girl. Communication is the key to any good relationship.

• Your opinion is the second best from the first person.

• I would only date a deaf person if I went into it without her being deaf, and then something tragic happened and she's permanently deaf, I would stay with her and love her just like before.

• that's great to read! Not many guys say that, but so many deaf people are so awesome, ofcourse you'd have to help her with it, and do sign language in american.

• Hey, I'm almost deaf, {Wearing hearing aids}, I can still speak, but i'm unclear at times, we are just normal people. Some say we are "special" and we don't function "normally", but in reality, it's wrong. Look at me for example, 60%+ of the United states is fat... While i'm just here rocking my abs. To be honest, and this is also personal experience... We are just shy around people, we fear rejection because of what we can/can't do. Age 7 I learned ASL, but can still speak knowing that any day my hearing can be lost. I have a rare disease in my ear called Mondini Dyslexia, nothing else. There is nothing wrong with me dating a normal girl, nor is it to be dating a deaf girl. Along they aren't assholes (by the way most deaf people aren't) then it's fine.

• Oh, hi! I know so many people make fun of deaf people, and I find it so rude. I always stand up for deaf people bc it's not like they chose to be deaf, but at the same time, they don't need pity. But I understand that you don't talk clearly, but it's normal bc of your hearing. When I first heard a deaf person talk I was shocked, and ever since then I've been interested to learn ASL.

• Well, i'm in public school right now, teachers love me because I fix their personal computers... xP The students just kinda act like I don't exist, but instead of spending time on drama, we spend time researching. Why? We always have a question in our head, its not that we are smarter, we just have more common sense. In my high school where i'm at there are people turning up every other day. I'd rather be smart, live a drug-free life (not including alcohol) and sadly, be alone. Yes it would be nice to have a friend, but i've learned from my exes, its better to control yourself than to control a group.

• This will be said once again, you're smart. I tell this to everyone that you shouldn't let others judge you bc you're only allowing them to judge you through out your entire life, and I get what you're saying, there's a lot of drama in school, and it's true but you guys will put more attention than others and it's ok to have friends, just have the kind of friends that will stand beside you no matter what.

• I actually "talked" to a deaf girl briefly. Nothing came of it, but I don't see why it would ever be a problem.

• Maybe. I don't have a problem with the deafness itself. Deaf culture, however, is not at all friendly to outsiders, and having to deal with that for the rest of my life would be a huge problem.

• Actually, there are deaf people who are PROUD and don't need pity from people, I know some deaf people who have been treated poorly, but they got through everything. But people should give other people with disabilities a chance. They're still great people, tbh.

• I liked the topic u raised. They also deserve to br loved in equal manner as we do. I would have no issue in dating a deaf partner. Afterall love is in heart not physical appearance. Physical is also necessary but it can be left apart if there is real love between partners.

• exactly! they are just people anyways, I wouldn't care if my future husband was blind or deaf, I'd still love them for them.

• It's possible but unlikely. I've have a really hard time communicating with them in the past and I think I may value verbally communicating too much to give that up with a partner.

• Yeah, I will agree that it is difficult to communicate with them but it's worth it in the end, in my opinion.

• Yeah I've had prolonged experience with deaf people and I rely don't like writing stuff down on paper when they tell me they can't understand. To me it seems like we live in very different worlds. I wouldn't completely rule it from happening but it's very unlikely.

• true, I want to speak to them to the point that I'd feel like my hands are gonna fall off lol

• I wouldn't date a deaf person. She wouldn't be able to hear my voice or my music or anything that I would want to say to her. We wouldn't be able to have talks on the phone or watch vines or funny videos. It's just not the same. I don't mean to sound shallow or anything but it's just not the same :/

• Everything you said is so.. I don't know how to explain it, but you can sign, and it's enough for them, some can tell when music is playing bc they love it, and can feel the music (don't ask me), and the girl is deaf, not blind. It's not the same because you see it that way but they have their ways as well, you just need to try to view it different, this is like the saddest thing I've ever read! You're not shallow, at least you gave your honest opinion, but they're very smart! They have their ways to knowing things.

• Why make unnecessary sacrifices for someone I don't know?

• good bye!

• yes, what's wrong with that? Marriage is how to share feelings between the boy and the girl.

• I wouldn't mind as long as she was someone I would want to be in a relationship with in the first place. If I loved her and she loved me then we would work around it.

• obviously, you wouldn't like to mislead a deaf person.

• I wouldn't actually, I don't see anything wrong with dating a deaf person, but I just feel like it would be a struggle for me.

• Yeah absolutely, of course I would. That would not be a factor AT ALL.

• I like how 13 guys on GAG are willing to date a deaf person as compared to only 3 girls on GAG. As for me, I don't mind as long as we're able to communicate.

• Well they don't mouth out words, just sign so how would you be able to communicate if you can't sign?

• Yeah, I'll keep saying that since I'm a med student who's also on the verge of being a fluent Chinese speaker in a few years. And I see those things as hard but not too hard.

• still. try it, then tell me it's easy.

• I don't think it would affect me that much so long as I like and love that person a lot, I would definitely not mind dating a deaf person.

• of course i would but id' be concerned it might make the relationship kinda difficult.

• I'd certainly be open to it, but I could see it being too difficult to communicate.

• I would date a deaf woman.

• For me personally, I see no problem with it, but I am a musician and interests would he hard to correllate. A blind girl though, I'd give her a shot and day.

• So you're saying something that has to do with talents? Have you seen a person sing in sign? It's amazing! Ofcourse it's not nice to just go up to them and ask them to sign with your mouth and treat them as if they wouldn't know what you want them to say.

• No I'm saying when they majority of the stuff I do is audio sensory, and it'd be a laugh ever seeing me with a girl anyways.

• No. I can't speak sign language. Even if I could, it would be kind of strange for me.

• It is strange, then again, speaking french would be strange, italian, and other languages would be strange, but it's actually interesting, it's not difficult to like a math equation, but it is very benefitical!

• Haha to each their own, I suppose.

• what do you mean? It's strange for us all in my class bc it's a different language that's used with our HANDS not our mouths.

• Gurls would mind but i dont think men would

• some men would, and some wouldn't. I hate it that so many people pity them, like they got over it, and they're proud to be deaf, they aren't mentally ill, I think they're the best kind of people to look up to, and blind people as well bc I can imagine it being difficult for them.

• Right? isn't it true?

• no. Now you DEFINITELY made me angry.

• Yes, I would have no problem dating a deaf girl.

• Yes, I would.

• I think they should be put out of their misery.

What Girls Said 11

• There was a guy that came into my starbucks the other day. Super sweet. He wrote down his order because he was deaf and then I took it with the pen. Then he signaled for me to give him back the pen and napkin and he wrote, "you're cute :)." I found it adorable. I would for sure date a guy that was deaf. ALSO it could help if you have an annoying voice. Watch this lol.www.funnyordie.com/.../man-hears-for-the-first-time

• aw! That's so cute! You're the first to tell me this! I don't know if you heard that in starbucks in NYC an employee laughed at a deaf person, and they called the cops to kick them out, when they didn't do that, and the deaf people sued them, I hope they do sue the guy or girl, that's not ok.

• Thats cute ;)

• I would deffinetely date a deaf person ! I even had a crush once on a guy who was deaf :)
    I love that they are so unique and expressive ! I 'm even thinking that if I ever had kids, I'd like them to learn
    sign language in their early years, It reall makes you see things in an another level ! :)
    I took some classe on Sign Language and I interacted with some of them, it was a great experience!

• Of course I would. They are beautiful people like others. They are more open. Their hearts are open.

I am always scared of heart deaf people, you know what I mean. There is no way that you can communicate with. Let me tell you, this is the real deaf, not the former one.

• what do you mean the real deaf, not the former one?

I think the SAME thing about them! Even though they have a disability I find them amazing people! They are really awesome people once you get to know them, their own thing is the hearing it's not like you'll be speaking to an object!

• kk, but I do agree with you that they're amazing people, there's people that don't give them chances.

• Yeah they aren't different from anyone else well obviously they are but they are still human. The only difficult thing would be learning communicate but its like any language. so why not.

• It's still shocking to me that only 4 girls are open to dating a deaf person here as compared to 21 guys.

• yes I would date a deaf person and the sign language is really interesting, if we can learn other languages we can learn this too so it's not a problem, for me at least.

Also they are normal people like us, the only thing I would hate it's not being able to hear music since I really love music but yeah

• We can lip sync and "feel" the music too! Just put up lyrics and it would be good!

• Yeah, I wouldn't mind.

• It's not something I've ever thought about before actually but hey if there was a connection and the attraction was there if give it go why not?

• and if he fell for you hard, would you study sign language for him? Or would you give up, because they can't here, there's a deaf bell they have and they're all or some at 120 or lower. So really think about it hard, would you? or would you not? This is the question that some people don't even wanna DO sign language for the ones they fall.

• I'm just saying that if I did fall for a deaf person I would get to learning sign language right away but it would take time

• ofcourse it takes time! To be an do translations it takes a lot of time! But either way, I'm just saying that if the guy fell hard for you, would you learn it all the way.

• Maybe
    Communication will be challenging but I feel they have a kind soul

• Wait, how could you tell if they have a kind soul? Just by they calling you cute or what?

• Just see how they behave but it may not be accurate. By calling me cute doesn't make a person kind

• It's a manner, and well looks mislead someone tbh lol.

• Yes absolutely :)

• Yes, i would date a deaf person

• Absolutely.
    I used to have a huge crush on a boy when I was in high school, he was deaf.
    I would've dated him in a heartbeat!