How is dating different now from how it was 10 years ago?

Just curious. How has the dating scene changed over the past 10 years?

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. Monetary costs are more evenly split now. Women are more willing & able to pay & transport themselves.
    2. There's more people openly dating someone of the same sex/gender.
    3. Less stigma about dating someone of a different race/sociocultural background.
    4. Communication (texting vs calling, video chat, Internet-based communication, etc)
    5. Online social networks
    6. STD transmission & sexual education (rates are higher, ironically because of the reckless behavior & lack of education 10 years ago, which requires the education to be better)

• More women are willing to pay some of the costs of dating overall, but enough women will refuse a second date if the guy doesn't pay for the first that from the guy's perspective, not paying for everything at the beginning is a losing proposition. Combined with women's willingness to have hook up sex and take advantages of vague, intermediate levels of commitment (we were just talking/dating/it was just sex/i love you, but not 'in love/we weren't in a relationship) this means that the cost for the average guy to play the field looking for a long term partner has not only not come down, it has gone up significantly.

• [3] To the person who wrote the post, your comment sounds like this: 'Sure, that's kinda true, but it's really not important because women still do all this negative crap that make it hard for men, the people we should really be focused on.'

You may have a generally positive attitude towards women, but that's not how you're coming across. Generally speaking, people don't like it when you take something positive and put an unrelated pessimistic spin on it.

• Your analysis is highly illuminating, and I thank you for it. I have to go to work now, but I would like to discuss this further via personal message after I have reviewed the other interactions I had referred to in the light you have just shed. There seems to be a predominately female tendency to work incoming communications into a set frame. I'm not sure how far I can go with this. I'll get back to you later. Thanks again.

Most Helpful Guy

• Summed up by a high school girl I work with. I asked if anybody had asked her to prom and she said yeah, 4 guys had messaged her on facebook. Messaged over facebook! I said deny them all! Either make them come up to you in person or call you on the phone.

What Girls Said 3

• I think both men and woman are more corrupt than they were 10 years ago.

• There are a lot more players.

• Use of social media, that's probably it.

What Guys Said 4

• texting has taken a huge fucking leap in the dating game :P

• Far more electronic interference

• The last trace of any standard of sexual morality has disappeared.

• Facebook, Instagram, and texting now complicate things in their own weird way