Do you follow "The Rules" when dating?

I think "The Rules" are just about playing games. But I wonder if they hold any merit? For example, not accepting a date from a guy less than three days in advance, even if you are home with your hair in rollers. You can google "The Rules" for more examples. What if I really like the guy and he asks me out on the same day? I'm thinking specifically about the very early stages, like maybe on the third or fourth date. I don't want to play games, but I'm told "The Rules" allow you to not seem desperate. Can guys see through games?

Most Helpful Guy

• The only rule I follow is "stay true to yourself".

What Guys Said 4

• Rules? Why are there rules. Who's the scrub that invented these rules? Who honesty follows these rules? Follow your mind (logic) and heart as long as you dont break serious laws or hurt people.

• Thanks. I think following The Rules is more likely to hurt someone-including oneself-than just going with your instincts.

• You need logic and instinct. Although in love sometimes those two conflict. I wish love was more irrational.

• I remember when "The Rules" first came out and was in the news. I think it's totally about game playing, and so I don't have any use for it. But some people really like playing games, so for them it would probably be like a Bible.

• Rules are made to be broken, I'm the black sheep of dating.

• Follow your own mind. Screw "The Rules."

What Girls Said 1

• As far as I can tell, the rules are a bunch of bull. You're much better off following your own inclinations--as long as you respect yourself and have confidence, you're going to come off as enthusiastic, not desperate. And who wouldn't enjoy going on a date with a girl who's enthusiastic about spending time together?