How to respond to "I love you" when you don't feel mutual yet?

My boyfriend's best friend told me that my guy loves me and plans on telling me on our next date but I'm not ready to say it back yet? How should I respond without hurting his feelings? I have strong feelings for him and we've been dating for 3 months but I'm just not at the same level as him yet.

Most Helpful Guy

• You should describe your exact feelings. If he makes you feel safe, then say, "I feel really safe when I'm with you." If you respect and admire him, then you should say, "I feel lucky to have you." If he makes you feel good about yourself, then you should say, "I'm very happy to be with you." If you trust him fully, then you should say, "You're a good man, and I trust you."

If you feel all of those things, then you should say, "I love you" because that would be the truth. Don't say any of these things if you aren't prepared to be exclusive with him. That means that you must turn down any offer from any other man and not seek the attention of other men no matter what until after you have told him that you don't want to be with him anymore.

Someone said say that you love him but aren't in love. That is the absolute worst thing you could do.

• He'll live.

• She wouldn't be hiding behind meaningless words cause she says she has strong feelings for him still. Just because she's not ready to say i love you doesn't mean that he's gonna keep buying her stuff while she fucks other guys behind his back, what kinda logic is that?

• Sandyyy, i think i'm still talking past you.
      People who cheat (especially female ones) sometimes claim that the relationships they were in didn't exist. "I wasn't cheating," they will say, "we weren't in a relationship anyway." Saying, "I love you, but I'm not in love with you" to any guy who's been lead on by a girl who had already moved on sounds like a set up for those same tired excuses.

What Guys Said 5

• I think maybe the "yet" you keep throwing around is a pretty good indicator you feel something. this is why i hate defining relationships

• kiss him and tell him that he means the world to you. I was in this exact same situation when my current girlfriend first said I love you and that was my response.

• Say "I love me to" and awkwardly smile

• i don't know you yet to say that,

just say that to him

What Girls Said 4

• 3|1
  • Ask yourself: "What would Audrey do?"

jahanc.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/i-love-you.jpg

• Tell him you love him but you're not in love with him. I love you doesn't really mean anything

• You can do one of two things, say either I love me too :3 and then skip off into the sunset on your unicorn ( I'm sorry that just seemed like the right thing to say) or tell him he really means a lot to you and do something to distract him ;) I'm not sure but if you watch girl code I'm pretty sure they say the same thing about this :) good luckk, he probably won't pry if you do say you mean a lot to me and not I love you because that's a pretty big thing to say especially after only 3 months ok but anyway good luck girl with whatever happens and there is also a super secret third option, you could love him and just not realize it at this moment and be in denial, like "noo I couldn't love him, but wait do I? Nooo"