Does looks matter on dating sites?

does looks matter on dating sites? i think they do if you are a hot looking guy you will not have to send messages the girls will message you. so do looks matter for guys on dating sites?

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course they do. A friend of mine and I did an experiment with this. We used her picture for one profile, mine (I am ugly) and a blank profile. We used the same exact profile bio for all three profiles. My friends profile was filled with hundreds of messages everyday. Mine really didn't get any messages except a few a week and the blank profile got a lot more than I did. So even blank profiles will get more messages than an ugly person, of course the majority of them were asking for pictures but still. I honestly believe that experiment proved that online dating is more shallow than offline dating. People always look at the picture first before they even look at the profile description. The funny thing is, a couple of the same guys messaged both my friend and I for hook ups. So they obviously didn't even read the profile otherwise they would have noticed it was the exact same.

• i did that once i got a good looking guy and he go 25 girls messaging him in 15 mins being on lol i was on there for 9 months and i didn't get many doing that experiment up set me abit he got more girls liking him but not me. that is one reason i think i am ugly

• I've never been in a relationship and men have always rejected me. I've only gone for what would be considered below average men. I've never gone for above average and they've always rejected me. There's never been a guy that has been attracted to me. I tired online dating as well even after the experiment and none of the guys liked me. There were only two who wanted to meet me offline, and one never talked to me again and the other one told me I was even uglier in real life. He had thought I had just taken a bad photo.

• i am sorry to hear that xxxx

What Girls Said 9

• I do not have an online dating profile, but I would guess so. I can see a lot of people going on them and flipping through photos of other people and rejecting most based on their appearance. I mean, like no one is there to judge them for it while they are doing it, right?

• It does matter a lot because online you're simply going off of physical attraction until you meet in person.

• OK, the pic i have no here was on a dating site it didn't work lol well a few didn't work for me. i am not that good has people say i am :/

• I can't see the pic at first, so I check the profile. When I see the pic, it usually gives me the "Oh, I know why you're on here" moment.

• Yeah definitely. It's the first thing people notice of they're searching by profile pics and not by interests or age, but if they are then looks will be number 2. There isn't much else to go on immediately when online.

• Looks help but it's the content in their profile, they provide, that flags my interest.

• ok i was on a datin site for a long time and nothing not even a date

• Take some shots where you are near the window in day time. They usually give good colour tone and clear pictures.

Face pics are good enough. (smiling casually) You really don't need to show a full body pic.

• ok :) i will take some pics

• To most people, yes

• Yes and so does grammar

• no not for a guy, but you are good looking do dont worry ;)

• Plenty. They matter a lot. Girls judge you a lot by how you look in your pictures. Thats how you basically start a conversation on sites like that.

• ok i need to take some good pics

• Is there something you don't want to publicly say or... what?

• yes thats why i am asking xx

What Guys Said 3

• My opinion may be against the norm but when I was active on dating sites I feel like I went on far more dates before I was going to the gym and getting results.

I am lean and toned for sure now putting on muscle but while I still got dates off of them, I feel like I was going on more dates with girls being skinny compared to now.

However I can also factor on that the area I am in, has the same profiles it had years ago when I was still skinny and if there are new ones coming up, I am not seeing them. I have profiles but they're probably buried because I haven't logged in in some time.

I honestly feel overall that most girls only have profiles for self esteem boosts. They just like seeing those "you're pretty" messages while "complaining" about them. I can't remember the last time I got a message.

But when I did message, I had been able to line 2 dates up in the same night back to back. So I don't know if it is because I lost interest am not putting the same amount of time into it. But overall, girls don't typically message first due to their inbox constantly having people already willing to date them. So they can save their ego by rejecting people and never having to take that "risk" even though it's just a message and they're profiles constantly claim they are "independent."

I've busted many girls online lying and that could also be why I don't bother too. One that comes to mind is a girl claiming she had her own house yet she only worked at panera part time and her grandma was really the owner of the house.

• It's the most important thing. People on dating sites are unusually picky when you'd think their desperation would cause them not to be. Think about it, what makes people go onto a profile? Their looks or their taste in music?

• yes it does... especially if you are a guy. Girls have the highest standards and are unwilling to settle like men are, so you need to look your absolute best... and sometimes that won't be good enough