Should I meet up with a guy that I met online for lunch?

A guy that I met online just texted me asking if I want to go out for lunch. I agreed to go. I am also 18 years old and my parents won't allow me. Are my parents right for not letting me go? What is the worse that can happen to me if I do decide to go alone with him?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing can happen. Tell a friend where your location will be and the time. And choose a nice, crowded cafe and midday time. And dont forget online or face to face, how you meet is just a starting. Good people can come from everywhere.

What Guys Said 2

• Be safe but don't be paranoia. Most people have good intentions. Like people said here, there are safety measures you can take:
    - meet at a public place
    - you can take someone with you, unless you prefer a private meeting (if you hope for more)
    - you need to know enough details of him, his name, phone number, ... (and verify if it's correct)
    - always let someone know where you are and give them a call a once you've met this person (even people with bad intentions are not likely to make a move once they know others are informed)

• If "stranger danger" is a problem, then meetup at busy (coffee) shops during the day and not at night in an alley @ 2AM in the morning.

What Girls Said 2

• If you want to meet him, then don't go there alone! Choose a location with lots of people, and ask a friend to come with you.
    Better safe than sorry!

• The creeps out there are why your parents won't let you go. They're protecting you.