Should I ask to split the check?

So say a guy asked me to lunch. Should I just assume that he is going to pay for it, or can I offer to split the check? I have no problem doing this. I would actually rather pay for my own meal. It is not because I am refusing his date in any way. Guys, if a girl offered to split the check, would you be happy about that or offended? Also, how should I bring it up? Can I just say, "would you like to split the check?"

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's what I think is very classy for a girl to do: When the time comes say something like "I'd like to pay for mine." And then he will probably say "No, it's okay. I've got this." And then let him pay for both. It's really classy for you to offer. Then, if the relationship develops further with more dates, he'll probably be more willing for you to pay half.

What Guys Said 5

• I'd be quite happy ^_^

And that sounds like a good way to bring it up.

You could always offer to pay for him, too - you asked him on the date. (and if you want that and he's very uncomfortable with it, he can always get the next one :p That way you're encouraging a 2nd date!)

But I like the idea of splitting meals more; you're both adults, you're both seeing how you'd work out together.

• If i ask a girl out to lunch I'm paying for the meal
    no need for her to ask to split the check unless
    she says before we go to lunch

• Ask to pay for him even better

• no, I am not going to do that. that would be unfair.

• oh, this is hypothetical by the way

• If it was one of the first 3 dates, I'd assume that she hasn't enjoyed herself and was trying to make her opinion known by deprecating the check.

• really? D:

• oh okay, i could do that

• It's just that the usual way is that the guy pays for the date. Deviating from the norm usually implies that something went wrong during the date is all.

• Talk to the waiter and just say two checks please, at the beginning of the meal.

• thank you for your answer, I just have to say though, on a totally unrelated topic:

every time i see your profile picture it freaks me out a bit, because zoomed out, it looks quite alarming... it looks like a fuzzy penis, not a puppy...

• It seems to be a legit fuzzy penis.

• Ain't nothin but a puppy, and y'all got some dirty minds. ;)

What Girls Said 4

• Just ask for two checks when the waiter takes your drink order.

• If it's a date, assume he is going to pay. However bring money just in case and ask a head of time. If he says he had it, don't push. If he agrees with the split, it's no big deal.

• If you'd prefer to pay for your own meal, then do it. It's up to you. (I also prefer to pay for my own)

• I don't think he would mind? But maybe he'll say no, even though he means yes.