To move in with your partner before marriage or after marriage?

I recently had a conversation with one of my best friends and we came across the topic of, would you want to move in with your partner before or after you get married?

I always said that I would love to live with my partner before we ever tie the knot, so that it isn't a shock to the system when we do eventually get married and move in together. However, she seemed to think otherwise.

What are your views on this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends.
    I've been with my boyfriend for so long. He's slept over for weeks at a time and I've done the same. So I pretty much know his habits. Living together before marriage makes no difference.

However, I do agree with you because it does become a shocker when you see certain traits and habits others have after a marriage.

What Guys Said 4

• If you ever find out that you don't get along in a live-in arrangement, it's best to find out before you get married. It could take 3 or 4 years before you know if you really get along well.

Being stuck in an unhappy marriage is more awkward than just getting out of an exclusive relationship.

• Before marriage. You need to know if you're compatible in all aspects of your life.

• I think it's best to wait, personally. I know no one is capable of doing that nowadays but me though. Sad how humanity has fallen.

• After marriage is a no go, a deal breaker in fact.

That is not a marriage, that is a community.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't really care. I think engaged is the best time to move in but I see it both ways. Some people like to move in before so they can get a feel of what it's like to live with that person... but there's also the "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" problem... I've heard of relationships where the couple was unmarried & living together for YEARS & the woman was confused as to why the guy still hadn't proposed.

• My friend said that same exact saying and used if as her defence. Engaged is definitely a good time because, according to that ring on your finger the two of you are planning to spend the rest of your lives together and I think being engaged is a bit more of a confirmation than if you were just dating per se.

• You should always live together for at least a year before marriage imo. You learn a lot about your partner when you move out. Ask anyone who's recently moved out and they'll tell you that their partner does things now they live together, that they never did before. Then you decide on whether you can live with their/that behaviour. If you move out after you're married, then you may find something your partner does really bad/annoying that you can't live with.

• I agree with you.

• After marriage

• Before marriage, definitely before marriage!