Would you date or marry someone religious?

Pick a religion, any religion- would you date or marry a person from a certain religion?
Or, would you rather date an atheist/agnostic person?

• Religious
  • Athiest/Agnostic

Most Helpful Girl

• doesn't matter as long as the religious person doesn't keep talking about his religion or the athiest/agnostic doesn't keep putting down religions (learn to respect people religions)

What Guys Said 18

• Needs another option:

The crazy religious / evangelist / can't shut up about it (same for atheist)
    Quietly religious

• Odd question, I guess this proves that many people never research words or cultures. Marriage is a religious ceremony only for people who have faith in God. Always has been until recent times. Marriage is a contract between 3 parties, the man, the woman and God. Promises are made to God.

A union without God is not marriage.

• Alrighty then.
      Marriage, nowadays, is widely known as signing papers to prove two people are romantically in love with one another.

• I didn't mean "without God" i meant without the consideration of god? Like not thinking about God as they get married.

• Marriage is the pact of mutual monogamous intent and commitment.
      God is not a necessary factor.

• I'd rather date athiest/agnostic or at least non-practicing. I used to go to church when i was younger and stopped going as I didn't believe in their practices.

• As someone who is a Roman Catholic, I find it would be just SO much easier to date/marry another Catholic.
    The main reason is the whole marriage process is much less stressful and crazy when both partners are Catholic. Sometimes Catholic or non-Catholic families will be shocked when a Catholic and non-catholic are marrying. Sometimes the Catholic families are mad because an official Catholic marriage can't happen, sometimes non-catholic families are mad because one of their own is marrying a stinkin' Catholic.

Luckily my immediate family would be accepting of it (my mom was Methodist, although she recently converted a couple of years ago), however the rest of my family might be iffy. I would actually be more worried about the in-laws. Growing up in the Southeastern US has taught me that people treat their religions like Pro-Football team rivalries. It's Baptist v. Methodist, Lutheran v. Presbyterian, Literally freaking everyone v. Catholic. And they can never, ever, get along. Simply because their team is different. At least with Catholics, even though many of us within the church have widely different beliefs and dedication to the religion (Cafeteria Catholics vs. Mainstream vs. Orthodox level), we all get along pretty well at least. So that's why I'd rather date/marry another Catholic. It's not that I wouldn't look past someone's religion for marriage, it's just that I wouldn't want to deal with all the clusterf*ck that follows.

• I try to be as open as possible. I'd be perfectly willing to date (and marry) a religious person, as long as they weren't super religious and/or trying to impose their religion on myself or hypothetical offspring.

• I voted B), because on the long-term, there's a high chance they'd want to indoctrinate my kids into believing in God and daily prayers and all that buzz, while I'd be nagged that why I don't want them to be indoctrinated through force like that, and it would be a hassle. So Catholics and Islamists are a no, but Buddhism for example is totally okay I guess. Although agnostic is the best.

• Being an Atheist myself I'd probably rather date someone whose also Atheist/Agnostic, but I'd date a religious person as well.

• Depends, atheist/ Pastafarianism so idk.

Would be open to dating depending on what the religion was, anything too crazy and nope. As long I like them as a person and they aren't trying to convert me, give me an exorcism, preach, or shove it in my face, don't care.

• This is some bullshit. Marriage is a religious institution. If you're atheist just fuck a bunch of other atheists and take care of whatever demon spawn you bring into this miserable world. People with reprobate minds piss me off.

• Could never marry a religious person.

• Depends on how severe her religious believes are xD I mean if she thinks there is a god or something, I'd not have a problem with it but of she expects me to convert or go to church I wouldn't.

• I would date Christians or an agnostic that was ok with it.

• No, but I would date or marry a woman who believed in Jesus, son of God.

• I'm agnostic, but I could care less about her religion as long as she doesn't go to church every week.

• Sure.
    I wouldn't care much about a person being religious or not. As long as they fit into what I like, it's fine.
    Both have some good and both have their annoying, self righteous individuals that I wouldn't be able to tolerate for very long.

• If they dressed like a nun or Muslim I couldn't, or if they were very religious. If they were only a little bit religious I could though.

• As long as they don't press their religion on me then it's fine

• I would, and then corrupt them

What Girls Said 5

• I don't know if I could marry a religious person because I'm not religious and I would hate for my husband to try to drag me to church every Sunday, celebrate religious holidays, and try to get me to convert and shove his beliefs down my throat. I spent half of my life getting away from that so I don't see myself going backwards.

• I wouldn't marry someone who wants to get married. That makes no sense, right? But I mean it.

I don't think a relationship with a religious person would work for me. At least not in the long run.

• I would only date or marry a Muslim dude.

• religious1

• I date either but when it comes to marriage I would marry someone with the same religion as Myself