Would you break up with someone you really liked if you found out they had a mental illness?

Let's say you've had several dates with someone who behaves in a very stable manner, is pleasant and you like a lot. Once this person discloses they suffer from a mental illness such as bipolar disorder, would you break up with them? The person has told you that their illness is well managed, they take their medicine and when symptoms arise they know what to do to take care of themselves. Mental illness shows itself differently in everyone, and it is not necessarily the way it is shown in movies. How would you feel if this person had epilepsy or MS?

I am writing because I have bipolar disorder and I am afraid someone would break up with me because of it. When should I tell a potential partner?

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason my fiancĂ© and I are so good for each other is because we both suffer mental health issues and share traits, she is higher functioning than me but when she breaks down I step up and take charge. She took me on while I was at my worst, we are like two broke jigsaw pieces that are so damaged we fit together.

• I like your jigsaw puzzle image. Beautiful and effective!

What Guys Said 3

• That's a horrible reason to break up with anyone.

• When should you tell them? date them a few times to let the see you as you are,,, then tell them and let them decide

• I say if the illness causes them to become violent than yea its a good reason.

What Girls Said 2

• no!

i'm a bit biast though. considering i have Bipolar disorder.

don't break up with somebody for that... that's cruel. and painful :(

• Thanks for answering. I am asking because I, too, have bipolar disorder!

• I wouldn't leave, no. Then again I'm bipolar so