What's the difference between loving someone and being in love with someone?

A guy told me that he was "in love" with me a year and a half ago. Now he tells his new girl he "loves" her. What's the difference?

Most Helpful Guy

• It could be the context, he may say he loves her as he already has her rather than a confession to being in love to her. Such as how you'd say I love you to each other not I'm in love with you.

Loving someone is when you care about them and enjoy them being in your life, you're willing to sacrifice time and effort for them. Being IN love with someone is often said for people who want to be together and things are deeper than a love for a friend.

It could just be a phrasing rather than the meaning to it but for example an ex told me she loved me but was no longer in love with me when we broke up. It can be used to differentiate between how you care.

What Guys Said 5

• "feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone)."
    Nothing pree much, love is a term that has lost it's meaning even more these days.

• Not much difference. If you're looking for one, ask him.

• Loving someone: Platonic. You can love your best guy friend, best girl friend, your comrades, etc.

"In" love: Non-platonic, romantically, spiritually, etc.

• In the context nothing, since both are infatuations.

• The difference is in how the words of the statement are arranged.

In the context of a romantic relationship, saying "I love you" and "I'm in love with you" are the same thing.

What Girls Said 3

• Love is when you care about someone deeply and you act like it.

Being in love with someone is having a deep romantic and sexual connection with them.

At least that's what they mean to me.

I think in this particular case the guy means infatuation in both cases.

• You love someone, you'll give them half of your chocolate bar. You are in love with them you give them all of your chocolate bar and are just satisfied with them enjoying it. :)

• In this case, no difference.