Can an Atheist ever have a relationship with a Catholic?

I have been talking to a guy for weeks now and he told me that he really likes me. Everything between us just clicks, all except for our views on religion. He told me if I could just put aside my religion and try start a relationship. Do you think it would really work out? I mean I like him too but I also love my religion, I don't know how I feel about pushing it aside.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you both are still young that you are growing in your beliefs - individually. I also think that you may be young to the point you don't realize what you may want 10-15 years down the road, especially if you are considering dating him long term. If you see yourself dating just to date - I don't see there being that big of an issue. However, if you are dating with long term intentions - you need to be aware of the conflicts that may arise with your difference in beliefs.

Take it slow. Communicate - That is key.

• I know this was asked several days ago and I already answered but ironically I find myself in this position right now so I want to tell you my feelings I am dealing with - in hopes it gives you a little insight.
      You and I are not the same person so I don't expect you to feel the same as I do...
      & Your guy is not the same as the person I met...

I recently have been asked out by a man who is an atheist. I, a devoted Christian. He is a great guy, total package and I thought I would be able to work past our belief differences...
      Quick description on him, 28yr, med student, handsome, personable - Why not date him right?

• I may be wrong in that feeling but I don't want to invest time and emotions some where I may wake up one day and say "I am not happy putting God second."

• I totally understand where you are coming from, especially the contrasting views about religion, marriage, children, holidays and all he told me he would also never step foot in a church. but in order to make my parents happy he will sit through church pretending to be a catholic as my parents have strong views on dating outside religion. I honestly don't know if I should try go into a relationship with him, but I'm willing to try and go on a date him just because he is really making the effort to make my parents accept him.

What Guys Said 3

• He's being very reasonable.
    You shouldn't let it come between you.

• Unless you're a Jesus fanatic and preach everyday, I don't see how religion even comes up often In a relationship.

• You would run into some problems , but they can be worked out. As long as you don't go in preaching to him and trying to convert him.

What Girls Said 2

• Well, I think it would depend on the two individuals involved. Basically, if both people are respectful of each others' views and don't try to convert one another, it may work. However, if the relationship progressed, it may get more difficult. Regarding marriage (would it be in a church following your religion or not?) and then having kids and deciding what they should be taught or if they should go to church, etc. It can get pretty hard.

Regarding your individual situation, if he's already telling you to push your religion aside, then he may not be the guy for you. Your religion is important to you, you shouldn't just push it aside because someone tells you to. If he really cared about you, he would be accepting of your religion because your religion is part of you. I think you should really think about this and decide if he is a guy who would be respectful of you and your beliefs and if you would do the same for him.

• My EX is catholic, I am atheist. I did go well for years, until serious things evolved. I realised we have different views on life: children's education, marriage... he is very traditional which came with old-fashioned family standards, that I do not agree with. therefore, as the other girl said, try it and see for yourself. if you are both not "extremists", it's easier, and you might be able to find compromise. Just both should accept the other ones (non) beliefs and not try to convince them about changing!